Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Need help identifying rifle (Read 6478 times)
kragkrazy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Need help identifying rifle
Nov 28th, 2018 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Folks, here are some pictures of my barreled action Krag.

I am completely new to Krags, but I believe it to be a Model 1898 manufactured in the year 1900.

Obviously I need a stock and associated metal bits. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to shoot this some day.

If you all can educate me on this rifle or provide any SRS that would be swell.

What stock do I need? Is that sight correct? (I suspect it's an 1896 sight).

Thanks in advance!
-Rob

P.S. My apologies for the large pictures, I don't know how to make them smaller!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Need help identifying rifle
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Are you trying to make a sporter or something that looks original? I did a sporter howto some time back. It is in the sporter section. I started with the installed sporter stock. I had understood that a friend of my uncle had whittled it out from a blank, but another person posted a photo of his completed rifle and his stock looked like mine. So there is someone out there making sporter stocks for Krags. The fellow that fitted my uncles did a very poor job and left me with a lot of problems to straighten out, the other member evidentally did not have those problems.
I Have looked for that other thread and have not been able to find it maybe some else with better search technic can find it and tell us who made the stock.
If you are intending to make an original looking rifle other will be able to help you find the parts.

IP Logged

kragkrazy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the reply. I am looking to put this back to an original rifle - IF possible!

If the cost is prohibitive, then yes, sporter becomes an option.  Wink

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
'kragkrazy' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You are correct about your Krag, #270733, being a model 1898 rifle manufactured around July, 1900. You are also correct about your rear sight being the model 1896 sight, (which may be correct for the period at which your rifle was built).

Three questions come immediately to mind: How long is your barrel, does it have the original front-sight base, and what is the condition of the bore?

The answers to these questions are relevant to restoration efforts and expense.

IP Logged

kragkrazy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Here are some photos of the front sight and of the length (30").

The bore looks fine to me, but I'm FAR from an expert!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 5:28am
Print Post  
'kragkrazy' - It appears you have a model 1898 Krag action and barrel worthy of restoration.

I would recommend you make a habit of searching and watching ebay and GunBroker (search - krag rifle). The metal parts you need and stocks and hand-guards show up.

As you are realizing, wood components are expensive and difficult to find. Quite often it is necessary to use a 'cut-down' rifle stock and splice-on a reproduction forearm. (The splice is hidden under the rear barrel-band). New replacement forearms are available.

There are several parts vendors listed in the KCA Forum 'Classifieds'. It could be worthwhile to contact them regarding wood and metal items needed.

FWIW - It is not unusual for a full-length Krag rifle stock, in 'well used' condition, to sell for over $200. Hand-guards routinely bring $90 to $100.

Restoring a Krag can quickly become a money pit. I hope you get lucky and find parts reasonably priced.

To help keep things in perspective, a lot of complete & shootable model 1898 Krag rifles sell for $700 to $800.

IP Logged

kragkrazy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
'butlersrangers' thank you for the reply.

I'm starting to think I made a mistake buying this "rifle".
Last night I saw a stock sell for $540! That's absolutely insane.

For what I have in this "rifle", plus having to buy a stock, it would be far cheaper to buy a complete rifle at your $700-800.

Still, I would like to bring this back. I'm hoping that someone here may have a stock they would be willing to sell, and be a part of my journey.

Thanks.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Most of the metal on your barreled action looks good. If you could find a complete rifle with a shot out barrel and good wood, trigger guard, and such it could be a happy marriage. Waiting patiently till you find the right one will be the trick.
If the Krag bug has really bitten you, buying a nice looking sporter for $300.00 will give you something to play with till you find the right piece for the restoration.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
FredC is giving good advice and patience is a KEY with Krags.

All you really need to make your Krag a 'Shooter' is a solid 'cut-down' stock with its butt-plate & swivel ($90) and rear barrel-band & swivel ($25).

Get your parts into a shooting condition and you will find out how the barrel performs and if you like shooting a Krag.

In time, you can pick up a front barrel-band/bayonet lug, hand-guard (original or reproduction), and reproduction forearm.

The virtue of your 'partial Krag' is that you have a full length barrel with a decent bore.

There are lots of Krags with 'roached out' or 'cut-down' barrels that could be wood donors.

Two suggestions: Buy an inexpensive reference book - Joe Poyer's, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine" ($25) to build your Krag knowledge. Attend local gun shows and look for Krag parts.

IMHO - Krag part prices are getting crazy on the internet and fraud & ignorance is rampant. It is much better to communicate and deal with a reputable vendor, like the guys listed in the KCA 'Classifieds'.

p.s. (It appears your front-sight blade is a commercial replacement that was filed down). 

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
My 1898 Krag rifle, was made in 1901. The barrel looked fair, and after conventional cleaning (Hoppes), still looked just fair. Then I used a bench rest shooters suggested cleaning method, and the bore now is excellent. I used Kroil, and JB'S bore cleaning compound to thoroughly clean the bore.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Frank
Could you comment a bit further on the cleaning method?
Thx
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

kragkrazy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 3:33am
Print Post  
Hey Folks, here's an update on my progress....patience is not a virtue of mine.

I THINK I now have something to shoot. I found an old sporter stock! I'm desperate for a barrel band now! Anyone have a  spare for the cause?

I'd much prefer an original stock, but now I can see how the rifle shoots! (IF it shoots!)

What do you all think?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 4:11am
Print Post  
Your stock appears to be a 'sportered' model 1896 stock. It should work fine with your model 1898 barreled-action. A regular rifle band and swivel should have you in business.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
The bug got you! Not surprised as the Krags are a real pleasure to shoot. Your action would still make a nice original rifle so now you can keep your eyes open for a good donor rifle while you play with it in its present form.

You might keep your eyes open for a donor sporterized Krag with a bad stock. then you will have 2 Krags before you know it.

Your present barreled action is too nice to sporterize.

IP Logged

kragkrazy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 3:03am
Print Post  
Anyone have a barrel band to spare?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint