Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New to Krag Rifles with Questions (Read 1902 times)
lgr1613
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New to Krag Rifles with Questions
Dec 1st, 2018 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Hello to everyone! I am new to the Krag universe, having purchased my first one (a Model 1896) just last week, the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The rifle was converted to a sporter many years ago, has a 1902 rear sight. The stock was modified for a recoil pad, which I have already removed. The past week has made for a steep learning curve, action removed from the stock, inspected and cleaned. Purchased the Poyer book and have been reading it the last couple of days. Just a couple of questions: 1. The sideplate has a small piece broken off of the top edge (ie chipped) so I am looking for a replacement. It is my understanding that the tenon dimension was changed around serial 100,000. Does this mean that the later sideplates will not fit the earlier rifles? Second question - Does changing the rear sight from the 1896 to the 1902 necessitate changing the front sight blade to maintain accuracy?

I would also like to find an original 1896 stock and handguard, but after only a week of looking it appears that is not too promising.

I look forward to learning more about the Krag 30-40 from the experienced members of the forum.

Lewis (lgr1613)

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New to Krag Rifles with Questions
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Well Lewis, I can only answer one of your questions.  Yes, you'll have to get a higher front blade to go with the 1902 sight, as you can see in Poyer.  It's not so much to maintain accuracy, but to adjust the point of impact.  I'm assuming were talking about a standard front sight, not a commercial add on.  The 1902 sight, in combination with the 1896 height blade will have you shooting very high.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
What is the length of the barrel? Unlikely, but do you know when the 1902 sight was installed? It may have been installed by the Springfield Armory. If this gun was originally a rifle it would have started with 30" barrel and if a carbine a 22" barrel. What type of front sight do you have? Original? Lots of variables. You may even have a replacement barrel. Pictures will help some to better answer your sight question. Below is from the Chief of Ordnance Report for fiscal year ending 6/30/1904.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
'lgr1613' - Welcome to the KCA Forum!

How long is the barrel on your model 1896 Krag and what type of front-sight is now on it?

If you have a full length rifle barrel (30 inches) and the original armory front-sight base, the removable front blade measures .413 inches high (by itself), when removed from the base.

Some clear close-up pictures of various areas of your Krag will beget better suggestions.

IP Logged

lgr1613
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the comments! The barrel appears to be original and is 30" long. The front sight base also appears to be original, brazed on, shows no signs of tampering. I measured the full length of the blade as installed and it is 13/32" which translates to 0.406" approximately. I have no idea when the 1902 rear sight could have been installed. The sight screws were not originals, which makes me doubt it was arsenal installed. I guess an earlier owner could have taken the sight off, lost the screws, and replaced them with what could be found.

I do not have any photos as of yet.

Thanks again,
Lewis

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 4:00am
Print Post  
Lewis - As indicated in the Ordnance Report page posted by Knute1, many 1896 Krags were updated with the 1902 sight in the early 1900's.

It sounds like your front-sight base is original and the blade was updated to be correct for a 1901 or 1902 rear-sight. The model 1896 rear-sight required a shorter blade).

How is the bore condition of your full-length barrel?

If the bore is good, your rifle could be a good candidate for restoration.

At least get some respectable rear-sight screws. (S&S Firearms has replica ones for about $4 apiece. Original screws show up on ebay or can be gotten from vendors in the KCA 'Classifieds'.

Maybe, your stock can be 'stretched' with a replacement forearm spliced beneath the rear barrel-band. Reproduction hand-guards and forearms can be purchased from a vendor in the 'Classifieds'.

Photos of what you have will facilitate suggestions.

p.s. The model 1896 side-plate has a thinner front 'lip' (tendon), that inserts into a slot, machined at the front of the receiver's left-side opening. A model 1898 side-plate has a thicker 'lip' (tendon) and will not fit. A replacement model 1896 side-plate is best gotten from a KCA vendor.

IP Logged

lgr1613
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks very much for the information.

The bore is good, bright, sharp lands.

The stock was shortened to accommodate a commercial recoil pad and yet maintain LOP. Actually the pad showed signs of age (i.e. ugly) and the LOP was too much for me (14" +) so I removed it and fashioned a new recoil plate for an LOP closer to 13". When the stock was shortened the groove for the tang in the heel was sanded out, and the holes in the stock were filled with dowels, making it impossible to re-install an original plate. The stock dimension, heel-to-toe is now about 4.5". So to restore I will need to find an original 1896 stock. Right now it looks like a carbine with a really long barrel!

I have seen original rear sight screws for sale and plan to purchase.

After reading Poyer's notes on the tenon thickness change I expected I would need an early one, just wanted to confirm.

I would like to post some photos, just need to figure out how to do that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint