McKeever Box Cleaning (Read 1320 times)
Andylit
KCA Forum Member

Krag Newcomer

McKeever Box Cleaning
Dec 8th, 2018 at 4:57am
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I'm coming into possession of a pair of McKeever ammo boxes. They are in fairly good shape with no tears or holes or serious stains. Good stitching, brass intact.

1. Neats foot or Mink oil? The boxes are medium tan or light brown. Scuffed and a bit dirty. My intent is to use saddle soap to clean them and then give them a nice gentle application of the proper oil. Which do you recommend, the neats foot or the mink?

2. How to remove the verdigris from the interior fabric? I am stumped on this one. I can gently brush the surface and remove the bulk of the green, but I would like to get the staining out of the fabric. Any ides would be appreciated3.

3. To polish or not to polish. The hinge pins and caps, and the strap "pin" have some corrosion as well as the normal patina. I would even consider polishing were it not for the corrosion. That needs to come off, but it will leave discolorations.

Please, chime in with your thoughts and ideas.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: McKeever Box Cleaning
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
The polishing is up to you - I don't think I would, but at least the brass will mellow down again with time. As to the oil, from what I've heard over the last 50 years, either of your suggestions would be a bad choice. Collectors seem to swear by Pecards (and at just about anything else). Hope that helps.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: McKeever Box Cleaning
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2018 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Pecard makes a number of products. It is their "Antique Leather Dressing", that you want.

My wife swears by Saddle Soap, but, she uses it slightly damp with a spounge on Horse Tack and riding boots.
(Dirt, salt, and horse sweat are different than what you are encountering).

I have found Hoppe's #9 on a cleaning patch to be very effective in cleaning verdigris from brass, while leaving a nice patina.
Just limit its contact with the leather.

A weak solution of water and Dawn detergent on a wash cloth might lighten stains on cloth loops. Brushing with a clean toothbrush might take debris off. Don't get things too wet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint