Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Which brass is better Hornady or Reminton (Read 3354 times)
Just_Joe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Which brass is better Hornady or Reminton
Dec 9th, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Today I start reloading. Which brass is better Hornady or Remington.

My second question is
How often are you supposed to clean reloading dies for both Rifle and Pistol?

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Which brass is better Hornady or Reminton
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Just Joe
I really don't have a preference.  I have Hornady and Winchester.  Both have only be reloaded a few times each.  No problems with either.

These are 100+ year old battle rifles and thus the accuracy is so-so.  Some are quite accurate while others wont hit a wash tub at 50 yds. 
Case durability is certainly another issue and one that I don't have much experience because of limited reloads.  There will be other members who will respond with excellent advice. 

Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 12:08am
Print Post  
The last time I bought brass, Hornady was the most available. That would make them the best for me. There was a time brass was hard to obtain.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 11:29am
Print Post  
That's for dang sure!  When I got my first Krag a few years ago there wasn't any new 30-40 brass available.  I started reloading with .303 brass.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
I still use .303 for my Krag scout but use the real .30-40 for my Krag Constabulary. The headspace or chambers are different enough that the only way I can use my handloads in both rifles is to full length resize them which is overworking the brass. I just neck size each with a .308 Winchester sizer die and using .303 for one and .30-40 for the other keeps it simple. Using the same load otherwise. Haven’t done a whole lot of load development yet. The steel in my yard doesn’t stand a chance so they can’t be too bad.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2018 at 3:53am by Baltimoreed »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 2:50am
Print Post  
I have cut Graf's and Winchester brass in half and the thickness along the length varies some. Probably no difference in ballistics though. The weight variation of a batch of brass would be more important as this will directly affect the volume of the case and pressure. Thinking theoretically the best brass would have the least tolerance in weight.

I have never heard of anyone here trimming 30/40 brass. If it never is an issue it may because Krags do not operate at the higher pressures of other rifles.
I am thinking that having all your brass segregated as to weight and or manufacturer is more important than who made it.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 4:47am
Print Post  
I am a R-P and Winchester guy.  For no particular reason beyond that is the ammo I bought over the years and retained the brass.  I only shoot the Win stuff in my M1895 Musket and the R-P in the Krags.  Simple logistics because I have three or four boxes of Win brass and the rest is Remington.

I can't speak to the number of reloadings since my case are only on their third rotation.  PSteinmayer and Butlersrangers can address the brass quality issue.  I do believe there was a post in the last month or so about that.

The bottom line is I have never had any brass issues.  They are both good stuff.  Well.  One issue.  I don't have enough to sustain a .30-40 Gatling gun for fifteen minutes of constant firing. Shocked

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RichWIS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
No preferance, have Win and Graf.  Used the Graf to form 30/40AI, and Win in an old sporter I had.  The Win has had a lot of loadings and some I tried to reform for the AI split at the neck/shoulder junction.  Found it best to anneal before forming.  Some of the standard brass has been reloaded 8-10 times but I anneal every sixth loading.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Today, is a good day, for annealing brass!

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 2:56am
Print Post  
My experience for many years has been with a hoarded stash of vintage commercial brass. I have found the old Remington brass seemed a bit softer than others. It worked into the dies with less effort and did not require annelling. Lasted a long time. Other vintage like Winchester of various years seems a bit harder, tended to work harden sooner and required annelling to get the longest life. I have not tried the Hornaday but would like to soon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint