Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 1898 Krag - request for opinions (Read 3768 times)
scosmi51
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 Krag - request for opinions
Dec 10th, 2018 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Hi to all.  I'm brand new here at the suggestion of another member.  I got a call from a friend telling me about the availability of some old military rifles in early October.  Turns out the owner is deceased and the widow and her neighbor came across them.  She wanted to sell them to a collector as her husband surely was one.  A 1898 Krag was one of three.  The other two are a M1917 and a Trapdoor Springfield. 

I think this one is mostly correct and would love to hear from you any details you might be able to share.  I have attached a number of photos and can take more when the light is better.  I've done some reading in Poyer's book.

Scott

IP Logged

scosmi51
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Krag - request for opinions
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Here are the other 4 photos.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
'scosmi51' - Welcome to the KCA Forum!

That is a mighty nice looking U. S. Model 1898 Krag rifle that you acquired. Your 1902 stock 'cartouche' agrees nicely with your receiver, that was produced around March, 1902.

Your stock and hand-guard appear to be Italian walnut, judging by the color and grain. (I love those Italian stocks)!

A very handsome and honest looking Krag. How is the bore?

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
That is one nice looking Krag. I did not see one buggered up screw slot. From your initial post I could not tell if you had bought the rifles or were thinking of doing so.
If not yet, Butlersrangers and others could give you ideas on a fair price. You do not want to cheat a widow or pay too much either.

IP Logged

scosmi51
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 12:43am
Print Post  
butlersrangers - Thanks!  The bore is not quite shiny but not frosted.  The stock is beautiful - far better condition than the CMP 1903 Springfield I bought back in 2005.

FredC - I did buy all three rifles.  The widow's neighbor took them to the LGS and had them appraised.  They were all judged to be 85-90% and the price determined by the Blue Book of Gun Values at $2380 total.  There were offered to me at $2000 and I took it.  I agree regarding giving a fair price and in the end, she was happy, the neighbor was happy and I was very happy.  The price for the Krag was under $600.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 2:07am
Print Post  
I have never bought a Krag but have 2 that were in the family. So I could only guess at a fair price. I see photos of them all the time on this site and you definitely have a nice one there.
As mentioned often here, Krags can be addictive. A nice sporter you can knock around chasing deer with would be a fun next one.

IP Logged

scosmi51
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I added 3 more photos at my friends suggestion.  Full length on both sides and a closeup of the rear sight.

After investigating the sling, I think it's a Type 1 and possibly a repro.  Butlerangers post (Re: Krag Rifle Sling Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 11:55am) showed me how to correctly attach it.  Thanks!

Looking in Poyer's book, I think the rear sight is Model 1901 Type 3.

Lastly, would someone please check the SRS database against my S/N 379576?  Thanks in advance.

Scott

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Scott - Your serial number does not appear in the SRS data.

Your 'close up' pictures are more helpful than over all photos.

Nice looking sling! 'Close ups' would allow telling if it is an original.

Any goodies in your rifle's Butt-Trap?

I am glad you are looking through old Posts.

IP Logged

scosmi51
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers - Thanks for your reply. 

The seller found another sling that he gave to me.  It is 48" long and has markings you can see in the attached photos.  I believe it's a Type 3.  The first 3 pics are the second sling and I included 2 more of the sling that came with the rifle and that I think is a repro.  It's ~66 inches long and feels like the synthetic sling I have on my competition AR.  Is the old, stamped, sling valuable?

BTW, your old sling post was found by via a search engine.

There were no goodies in the Butt-Trap - empty.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Scott: I think your "Rock Island - 1904" (48") sling is a model 1903 sling, for the early 1903 'Rod Bayonet' Springfield rifle, as well as, the Krag. This sling preceeded the model 1907 sling.

It is desirable and worth money, but, it appears someone has damaged it by cutting slots to create an extra hole for the 'button' and there may be a pair of extra holes for the 'frog - hooks'.

The other (66") sling appears to be a decent reproduction for the Trapdoor and Krag. The rivets and brass 'frog' give it away, as new manufacture.

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 12:13am
Print Post  
That 1904 dated sling is far too long to be the sling that was used on the Rod Bayonet 03’s.
I don’t know what it is, but it’s interesting.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 3:04am
Print Post  
'Fred G.' - I do not have a Rod-Bayonet 1903 Springfield rifle or a 48" sling like 'scosmi51'.

I did measure sling-swivel distances on several of my rifles:

Krag rifle - 24 inches from barrel-band swivel to butt-swivel. (24x2 =48")

1903 Springfield - 25 inches from band-swivel to butt-swivel. (25x2=50")

1873 Springfield - 28 1/2 inches front-swivel to guard-swivel.

FWIW:

Mallory in "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition, page 165, described a Model 1903 Sling that was 48 inches long and intended for use on Krag and early 1903 Springfield rifles.

William Brophy in "The Springfield 1903 Rifle", page 434, differed from Mallory. Brophy described two versions of a model 1904 sling:

One that was 50 inches long for the 1903 rifle. It had two pairs of holes at the 'buttoned end' for the frog to hook into.

Another sling was 48 inches long for the Krag rifle. It had three pairs of holes at the 'buttoned end' for the frog to hook into for tensioning.

Both m-1904 slings had 20 pairs of holes over a 22.625" area of sling body to allow adjustment as a carry strap.

Since these (m-1903 or m-1904) slings fold back on themselves at the front 'button-end' and several inches of leather (with holes) is available for the 'frog' to hook onto, I don't think they are too long for 1903 rifles.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 3:45am
Print Post  
This appears to be the 48" sling type described by Brophy with three pairs of holes at the 'button-end' to tension sling.

Also, the same type of sling on a Philippine constabulary rifle. It appears to have been put on 'incorrectly' with 'button-end' at butt-swivel, instead of at barrel-band swivel.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 4:06am
Print Post  
KCA member, FredC's, grandfather (circa 1911) with same 'unorthodox' 48" sling arrangement.

Or .... is this the correct way to use this sling?

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 10:19am
Print Post  
I was referring to the sling on the rifle in the photo...
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint