Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1899 Krag Carbine (Read 1918 times)
kolhoznik
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1899 Krag Carbine
Dec 30th, 2018 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
I have acquired an 1899 krag carbine with an early serial number (pre 250000 if memory serves) It is missing the magazine cut off, flag safety, upper hand guard, and rear sight.  I would like  to replace what parts I can ( I know the sight will be pricey).  I am wondering what other models parts are compatible with the 1899?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1899 Krag Carbine
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
'kolhoznik' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. If you post some photos of your model 1899 carbine, members can provide better suggestions and guidance.

IMHO - A carbine in the 25X,XXX serial number range can have any of the carbine rear-sights you can find and prefer.

Your carbine likely started 'life' with the model 1898 'three-notch' Dickson sight. These were later discontinued and taken off.

Krag carbine hand-guards are 'sight-specific'. Initially, the carbine hand-guards were identical to rifle hand-guards for a given sight model.

The sight-guard 'humps' on carbine hand-guards came later.

Probably the most important thing is to have a pleasant match of wood and metal color, patina, &  finish with your 'new' replacement parts.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
It is also possible, in my experience, to spend your money more wisely to acquire a complete and "correct" updated 1899 carbine compared to trying to rebuild your current one with sometimes hard-to-acquire parts if your current one is missing too much or in less than desirable condition. This includes, not the least important, the condition of the bore. Many of us Krag purists really like, and value, a good bore.

But, as stated above, we would appreciate good pictures of your Krag to give a better evaluation.

Welcome to the wonderful, and frequently aggravating, world of Krag collecting!

IP Logged

kolhoznik
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
I tried posting some photos of the carbine but I kept getting a message that even one photo was too large the condition is middle of the road I would say but the bore is mirror-bright

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
You can post multiple photos. Each attachment has to be 768 KB, or less.

IP Logged

kolhoznik
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
How do I reduce their size?

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Open MS Paint and then your pic file.  Save As another name so you don't screw up the original.  Find your file size in windows explorer and as an example it is four meg.  find the resize function in Paint (or whatever edit software) and reduce horizontal and vertical equally by fifty percent.  Save As a second different name.  Check that file size.  Let us say it is now one point eight meg.  Still too large so this version can be closed and over written on the next go 'round.  Go back to your first copy and resize down to forty percent and save as again using the second diferent name.  Might as well write over it.

Repeat as required to get to 768 or less.  I try to shoot for 700 when I do my pics for this site.

All the best.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Hi kolhoznik,

Not sure what type of software your using (Photoshop, Photostudio, etc.) but usually located up in your toolbar section there will be an "edit" tab.

Click on the "edit" tab and look for "image size"

Click on "image size" and look for "Scale" (either WScale or HScale)

The "scale" entry box will have a number (usually listed as 100%).

Type in an entry that will decrease the size of your photo allowing posting to the Krag site.

With my program I usually have to decrease my photos to 10 or 15%

Next, click on "File" tab located at the top.

Select "Save as".

Give your reduced size photo a new file name to differentiate it from the original (ie Krag.001 original photo would now be Krag.001a for the resized photo). 

Now when you post your message to the Krag Forum you can choose the resized photo from your picture library, in this case your resized photo Krag.001a.

Hope this helps!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint