Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 M1917 American Enfield (Read 9673 times)
Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

M1917 American Enfield
Dec 30th, 2018 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Here is a link to Outers Magazines from 1918. It has a good article on the M1917 American Enfield. Part I starts on page 155 and Part II starts on page 254. There are several good articles on period outdoor activities. There is an interesting way on how to remove a broken axe handle from the eye of the head on page 445. And there are men wearing my favorite winter hat, the Stormy Kromer. And I guess I am behind the times Smiley, but I didn't know that Zane Grey wrote outdoor sports articles in addition to his cowboy action novels. Check out the New Year's wish at the beginning of the link for a feeling of the times.

So if you're bored, here is some light entertainment:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
erial+number+information&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwik9NLt48ffAhXSi60KHXBTAQ84FBDoAQh
MMAg#v=onepage&q=krag%20magazine%20rifle%20serial%20number%20information&f=false

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: M1917 American Enfield
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Stormy on Steroids!

(N.Y. national guard in Adirondacks, 1903 Springfield era).

I like my 'Elmer Fudd Hat', but, these are ugly!

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
After posting this topic I couldn't help but go to Stormy Kromers website and to my excitement they had some 50% off!! Using my wife's reasoning I bought one and saved myself 23 bucks. Hey, it worked since she had no recourse to say no. Now I have 3 Stormy Kromers and 2 Krags, just might have to even things out. Anybody see any sales for Krags at 50% off?  Grin

Now then, I'm in management at work and don't have anything against unions (my Dad is a retired UAW member of 35 years). But when the union president made fun of my "Elmer Fudd" hat at work, I had to ask him what was in his hat. I pointed out the "Made In China" tag in his hat. Then I took my hat off and showed him my "Made In USA" tag and the American flag. I placed it back on my head and told him that I was proud of my hat and hoped he was proud of his. He remarked that he had to get one, but hasn't. I guess he just isn't cool enough.

By the way, I bought the hat with the tweed pattern today.  Cool

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Good for you 'Knute'. Every young man can always use another Krag and another Kap!

My 'size-tag' says: "Ironwood, MI 49938".

The 'Flag Label' says: "Stormy Kromer - Made in USA in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - Of Imported Parts" .... What!!!

Anyhow - my Grandpa about 100 years ago (not far from Ironwood) and me last week (real far from Ironwood):

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Hey.......did you ever play a character in "Escanaba In Da Moonlight"?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Yah .... Da "Jimmer".

(Jim Negamanee from Menominee for the 'washed masses').

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
And I always thought they where just called "Elmer Fudd Hats".

I especially like the commentary on page 180 about Gravitation-"Down South"

Commentator suggest that the scientific research was influenced by Southern Corn Whiskey! LOL

Maybe Culpepper can shed some light on this commentary?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
I checked wit da boys up nord ah da bridge ... an dey said ... "Scotch" was better whiskey for makin decisions ... en dat dem Enfields was good guns, but, a shotgun width slugs was better in da bush ... Ya hey!

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Yeah, the Jimmer. The best character on the show. I knew BR would catch on to my little joke.
Never been to Yooperland, but close. Hunted a few times in Minoqua, WI. "Da Thirty Point Buck" by Bananas At Large is one of my favorite deer hunting songs. Being a Packer fan (yeah, I know they got beat by Detroit today) I can relate to that song and "The Second Week of Deer Camp". Used to hunt the second week in Wisconsin with a couple Bohemian brothers, Big Zeke and Little Zeke. Stayed in a box car pulled in the deer woods and ate Ravioli and Spagettios off plates and utensils that were never washed the whole time. I was told to drink more beer to get rid of the germs.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Local Boy,
Just to give you a little more insight on Stormy Kromer vs. Elmer Fudd hat attire:

Elmer Fudd's hat is tied on the top of the crown. When untied at the top the flaps could be pulled over the ears and tied under the chin. The original Stormy Kromer hat is tied in the front just above the bill. It was designed that way so it would stay on the head better, a design of necessity when working on a train as Mr. Kromer had done as his store bought cap kept being taken off with the wind. The cap can be pulled over the ears, but the string does not get untied to do so. The design goes back to 1903. This hat has a cult-like following, you should get one. It fits in with the Krag hay-days of hunting with one. They kinda go hand in hand.

Now you know more than you probably wanted to. Just wanted to set the record straight.  Wink

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Chuga, chuga, woo-hoo I gotta get me one to!!!

Thanks for the schooling Knute!

I think one would go well with my 100% virgin wool Filson vest.

Now, now guys keep it clean about the virgin wool. Cheesy

Any suggestions about locating a real deal Stormy Kromer?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 2:47am
Print Post  
The State of Ohio and Territory of Michigan had a war over Toledo in 1835, (well, sort of a war).

Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana won.

The Wisconsin Territory lost.

This is an example of how the U. S. Congress works ... and how Michigan got the western part of the "UP".

BTW: "Yoopers", people who live in the Michigan Upper Peninsula, (a.k.a. "The UP" or "The State of Superior"), are a bunch of "Packer Backers".

Above 'The Bridge', you would be hard pressed to find a Lions' Fan.

The Detroit Team plays, below 'The Bridge', to amuse the Trolls.

p.s. 'Local Boy' - The Stormy Kromer website is accessible online. Caps can be viewed and purchased directly from the maker, including Sale items. The 'SK' Caps are a lot smarter looking than 'Cheese Head Hats'.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 2:53am
Print Post  
Local Boy,
Go straight to the Stormy Kromer website. That is where I found my hat today on sale.

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2019 at 11:53am by Knute1 »  

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #13 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 5:44am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 2:47am:
The State of Ohio and Territory of Michigan had a war over Toledo in 1835, (well, sort of a war).

Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana won.

The Wisconsin Territory lost.

This is an example of how the U. S. Congress works ... and how Michigan got the western part of the "UP".

BTW: "Yoopers", people who live in the Michigan Upper Peninsula, (a.k.a. "The UP" or "The State of Superior"), are a bunch of "Packer Backers".

Above 'The Bridge', you would be hard pressed to find a Lions' Fan.

The Detroit Team plays, below 'The Bridge', to amuse the Trolls.

p.s. 'Local Boy' - The Stormy Kromer website is accessible online. Caps can be viewed and purchased directly from the maker, including Sale items. The 'SK' Caps are a lot smarter looking than 'Cheese Head Hats'.

That's not the only thing Ohio has won.

Michigan football loses to Ohio State, 62-39

Details at six, pictures at eleven.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #14 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Local Boy wrote on Dec 30th, 2018 at 9:20pm:
And I always thought they where just called "Elmer Fudd Hats".

I especially like the commentary on page 180 about Gravitation-"Down South"

Commentator suggest that the scientific research was influenced by Southern Corn Whiskey! LOL

Maybe Culpepper can shed some light on this commentary?

Oh I don't know about the commentary (still downloading it).  Southern Corn Whiskey is so 1840s.  Northern Corn Whiskey!  Now that stuff will angry up your blood and in a hurry, too. Why there was a time I could put down an intire hogshead and not give a durn about anything for five seasons and two weeks.  I have a jug of rum at the moment that has a fantastic molasses flavor.  The only trouble if'n I drinks it I wont have any more to left drink.

Does the elmer fudd hats come in red plaid? 

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint