Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 New to me 1898 cut down "Short Rifle" (Read 7497 times)
Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New to me 1898 cut down "Short Rifle"
Dec 31st, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Hello Krag Friends,

I recently purchased this 1898 "Short Rifle" and thought I would post it here for viewing and comments.

The seller said that he had acquired several of these that appeared to have been cut down by Vet organization to same length as an '03 Springfield (Perhaps for uniformity?????) Seller said that he had these re-crowned and that the barrels are decent, serviceable and the the rifle functions as it should. I don;t think he fired any of them.

I have a long rifle and liked the short rifle (Being an '03 collector), the price was decent, so I purchased it.

It is an 1898 with serial 472932.  (You need to Login to view media files and links) gives a year of manufacture as 1903, which seems to match the cartouche.

It is at my dealer, waiting for me to return home Next October.
Barrel length is 23". It is my intention to have it sent to my gunsmith to have a correct front sight installed (S&S) and also have the sharp edge rounded off......If anyone objects, please chime in and include reason.

It has the 1902 Rear sight. My dealer tells me that the rifling is "good". His words. Won;t be until October when I can actually inspect.

Anyway....here is is.....

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New to me 1898 cut down "Short Rifle"
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Some more pics.

I would like to be able to install a bayonet on this rifle. I would machine out the inside of a cheap, but decent bayonet ring to fit over the barrel. But I think that the measurement from the front edge of the upper band to the muzzle is too short, even though the barrel is 23" long. Which only tells me that the OAL length of this stock is more than the 38" of the PC/Short Rifle. Am waiting on measurement from my dealer. If true, if i have a correct front sight installed back the correct distance from the muzzle, I "could" file back the nose of the stock, reshape and reinstall the upper band so a bayonet would properly attach. How often would I need or use a bayonet....probably never....but I would like for it to attach.

Thoughts....opinions, suggestions?

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Additional...

Am waiting for my dealer to provide some measurements that I asked for.

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Measurement from muzzle to edge of upper band

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Goodness.  Please don't ruin a bayonet just to fit this Krag.  The bayonet will be around longer than you and will be sold after you tire of it or after your demise to some dude who will buy it from a picture on the 'net and find out it does not fit his rifle. At any rate the gun and bayonet will become seperated in the future.

Send the gun to the CMP and have a new one spun on to it and do a wood restoration.  Or you can have the muzzle turned down since it is already buggered.  You can get a replacement forearm piece and splice it in if the stock has been cut back.

Just my opinion but I try to live by the hippotomus oath when it comes to Krags or any mil rifle for that matter.  Doctor do no harm.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
I think you will have a nice shooting rifle when you are done with your gun smithing for this poor cut-down Krag. It will have no collector value as a cut down sporterixed rifle but you should, hopefully, get lots of fun shooting it!

Maybe, if you get hooked on the 30-40 platform and enjoy your Krag, you will catch the fever and look for and invest in a military correct Krag that will be the envy of all of your shooting buddies.

I would actually have the muzzle re-crowned to look more like a real Springfield Armory crown. That crown job makes me shiver.

Hopefully the bore will turn out to be nice like promised. Good luck!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
I also agree with Culpeper that the muzzle should be altered to fit the bayonet if you must. Don't ruin the harmless bayonet. It never did anything to you! Keep it intact for the next Krag enthusiast.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
He is already hooked as he states he has a long rifle!!! This looks like a fun shooter project and no damage is done to an original so have a "blast" (pun intended) I tend to agree though about altering the bayonet though. One draw back would be that after you are gone and your good intentions forgotten some one could pass this off or mistake it for a bayo for the 26" Krag and gouge or over pay for it.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Just working on the outside of that crown will make it a lot better. The only book I read on gunsmithing told how to cut and crown a barrel without a lathe. Forty years ago so I forgot some of the details. Cant even remember the name or author.
On the inside portion of the crown he would chamfer the bore with a 45 degree bit then use some brass ball shaped laps in a brace (Before power drills were common) to work it out. On the OD I think the procedure was to file then sand it to shape.

A couple of quick questions, when the CMP was handing out all those Krags in the thirties, they did not come with the bayonets did they? How did a person get them?

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 6:39am
Print Post  
To me, the answer is simple and totally obvious. Replicate a "school gun". The 23" barrel is like nothing else - cut it to 22" with a proper crown, and reduce the area ahead of the front sight base to take a standard bayonet. You have harmed nothing but will end up with something believable. Stock work should not be difficult, though you might have to plug the lightening groove - but that would be "correct" for that length barrel. Totally "win-win".

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Thanks for the comments.

From the measurements, I think that the stock may be longer than 38"......standard OAL of the PC/School/Short rifle stock. Even if i were to have a new 22" barrel installed, a bayonet would not attach as it would be shorter than the 23" the barrel is now. Besides, there is a long waiting list to sedn something to CMP.....I am already on it, for something else.

Also, the repro barrels do not have the correct thread on the rear sight mounting screw holes.

Would you still be upset if I used a beater bayonet? Or purchased a replacement Guard to modify, rather than having the existing barrel turned down? Wouldn't that entail removing the barrel in order to mount it into a milling machine? I will discuss that with my gunsmith.

Forend replacement splice? Why would I remove the whole forend on this rifle? Actually, I will not see this rifle until next October, when I come home. The idea was to have my 01-FFL ship it to the gunsmith to have the front sight installed and contour the muzzle (It's already been cut down and re-crowned.....Not by me), then have Gsmith ship back to my 01-FFL so that I can do the paperwork when I come home. Why not wait til I come home, you may ask?.....Because I will only have 30 days and I have stuff to do. Besides, Gsmiths aren't know to be fast. He may not be done by time I have to return overseas and he may not be willing to hold onto the rifle for another year until I can come home again to get it.

Actually, I have a barreled receiver on the way, which I am going to have to find a stock for, so I might just do the barrel turning for the bayonet on that....or the separate stripped receiver and barrel that I have for another build. Have to find a stock fot it, so I could do the forend splice thing on that and set it up to accept a bayonet.

I appreciate the comments.

I received enough criticism from the M1 Garand crowd "Purists" when I had a BM59 built, about "destroying" a piece of history.

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 9:31am
Print Post  
I was thinking along that line. Is it possible to turn down the muzzle to accept the bayonet ring without removing the barrel. Having to go that far would add more expense.

I am not at home to attempt any of this, myself. I will need to send it to a competent gunsmith so I can enjoy the rifle when I come home in October.

Dick Hosmer wrote on Jan 1st, 2019 at 6:39am:
To me, the answer is simple and totally obvious. Replicate a "school gun". The 23" barrel is like nothing else - cut it to 22" with a proper crown, and reduce the area ahead of the front sight base to take a standard bayonet. You have harmed nothing but will end up with something believable. Stock work should not be difficult, though you might have to plug the lightening groove - but that would be "correct" for that length barrel. Totally "win-win".

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Understand about altering the bayonet. Was going to try to find a beater bayo and fix it up.  Am just trying to keep expense of turning the front of the muzzle.....unless that can be done WITHOUT removing the barrel.

Whig wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 10:11pm:
I also agree with Culpeper that the muzzle should be altered to fit the bayonet if you must. Don't ruin the harmless bayonet. It never did anything to you! Keep it intact for the next Krag enthusiast.

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Received measurement fo stock OAL from my dealer.......it is 39 9/16 Inches long.....

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Jason60chev wrote on Jan 1st, 2019 at 9:21am:
I received enough criticism from the M1 Garand crowd "Purists" when I had a BM59 built, about "destroying" a piece of history.

The folks on this forum are really great!  Most helpful, friendly and at times humorous.  Like a family, well some families.  Ha.  I'm always impressed with their knowledge.  When it comes to everything Krag, this is the goto place.

Yeah, as to the Garand forum.  You can guess what I think about that attitude.  BTW the BM59 is a really neat rifle.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint