Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 1895 Dated Krag...missing safety (Read 5131 times)
CodyT
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1895 Dated Krag...missing safety
Jan 5th, 2019 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Hello all and thanks for reading.
Recently after many years of looking and thinking about getting a Krag I finally broke down and added one to my collection. The rifle appears to be original/correct except it is missing the safety. Serial is 6214 and the receiver is dated 1894 along with the stock dated 1895. Everything appears to be in good shape with much dried cosmoline still left in the barrel (what fun that is to clean). Question I have is what safety to I need to get for replacement? I have been looking and noticed a high pin and low pin? Also different ones for later production. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1895 Dated Krag...missing safety
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 6:09am
Print Post  
'CodyT' - Welcome to the KCA Forum!

The important things to know are which type of Krag Bolt and which type of Bolt-Sleeve are now on your Krag. This dictates the safety-lever needed.

These parts changed and evolved. Later Krag bolts and sub-parts will sometimes be found on 1894 dated (model 1892) actions.

Close and clear photos of your action, bolt, and bolt-sleeve would beget better answers and more information.

Attached photos show: 1. an earlier type of bolt-sleeve, which uses a cross-pin to retain safety. 2. an early bolt sleeve that was updated to fit a later bolt and late safety-lever. 3. a late safety dismounted from a late bolt-sleeve.

Note the 'ribbing' on the early bolt sleeve bodies and the 'lug' that was eliminated for later bolts.

Early safety-levers had their shaft notched for the cross-pin, which weakened them and made them prone to break. (IIRC - initially the cross-pin hole placement was 'low', but, it was soon raised to allow a stronger safety-shaft).

The later safety-levers were retained by a spring-loaded 'detent', that traveled in a groove on the bolt-sleeve.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2019 at 3:08pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

CodyT
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Thank butlersrangers for the reply and images, much help.

With that I understand the safety differences and it makes me wonder how correct my rifle is...

When I get home I will take the bolt apart and find out what bolt sleeve I have a if I have time post some pictures for viewing.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
A lot of the model 1892 Krags (built in 1894 & 1895) eventually received Armory updates that make them more like the model 1896 Krag.

That doesn't make them incorrect ... just updated.

If your action has a 'notch' and a 'hold-open pin' on the extractor, it was likely updated in the late 1890's or early 1900's.

An inexpensive book ($25), Joe Poyer's, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", can guide you through parts and evolution.

Attached photo shows model 1896 and 1899 actions that were made with the 'bolt hold-open' pin and notch.
This feature was absent on early U. S. Krag (model 1892) action, but, was added later to many.

IP Logged

CodyT
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Thank you all for your help and photos. After looking at my rifle more closely it appears to have a model 1896 rear sight and the cleaning rod hole filled on the stock. So my rifle was definitely updated. The bolt sleeve appears to be a late version which makes sense with the stock and rear sight changes. I can't find any or stock markings than the P and 1895 cartouche with initials. I will post pictures later today and will be glad to hear everyones input.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
U. S. Rifle model 1892, #6214, was likely built in September to November, 1894.

Since arms were disassemble to perform updates and refurbish metal and wood (fill rod channel), it is very unlikely gun stocks got back on their original barreled-actions. It was not necessary to put a new 'acceptance cartouche' on the stocks of 'rebuilt Krags'. Old stock markings remained.

The initials in your stock's '1895 cartouche' are a script "J.S.A." for Joseph Sumner Adams, Asst. Foreman of Assembly Room at Springfield Armory.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2019 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
CodyT,
I am curious to know if your cleaning rod filler was a round versus square section. I am suspecting square. You can tell by looking at the wood exposed at the end of the stock showing thru the upper band. That will help determine when the stock was updated. Looking forward to any photos you may be posting.

IP Logged

CodyT
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 2:50am
Print Post  
Pictures...hope they help. If anyone needs more please let me know.

IP Logged

CodyT
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 2:50am
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

CodyT
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 2:53am
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

CodyT
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 2:55am
Print Post  
and more

IP Logged

CodyT
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Ok from the photos one can see this stock has the square filling for the cleaning rod hole. Also....I said my rifle was 6214...it is 6216. Sorry for my lapse of memory. Thanks again for everyone's help.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 3:20am
Print Post  
Knute1- can you remind me about the square and round cleaning rod channel fillers? I don't know which indicated what year refurb. Is there a reference to this? I have a couple Krags with filled channels and I know one is the rounded one. I'll have to check the other. I think one of my filled channels is a lot wider than the other. Is that related to the round vs square issue?

Thanks for the info. Adds a lot to the fun of collecting Krags by looking for all of these variations.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 6:35am
Print Post  
'CodyT' - You have a very good looking Krag rifle, with model 1896 updates.

(IIRC - The square-cornered patch, in the 'cleaning-rod groove', was the later upgrade done in the early 1900's).

Nice job on photos. Your hand-guard is the model 1892 rifle type.

Your Bolt is a model 1896 Bolt. The Bolt-Sleeve will accept the late type of Safety-Lever. I believe there are two variations, differing slightly in Lever thickness. Either variation will work.

Vendors listed in KCA 'Classifieds' may be able to supply a model 1896/1898 Safety-Lever, if contacted. (These have gotten harder to find, of late, and sell for around $40).

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 10:29am
Print Post  
CodyT
Fine looking rifle!
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member