Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Marlin Model 1893 - Family Gun (Read 1976 times)
Zgun
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Marlin Model 1893 - Family Gun
Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Finally had the opportunity to take some pics of this 1893 which has been in the family since the early 1930's. This belonged to my Great Uncle and I believe he was probably the second owner of the rifle. The bore is good, not real bright but no frosting and no pitting and the lands and groves are well defined and sharp. Based on the information available (or lack of) my guess is this 1893 was manufactured between about 1913 to 1920. She has aged gracefully with a nice even patina. The rifle has not been shot since about 1959 when my great uncle passed. It was then passed to his sister who never shot the gun and then to my grandmother and finally to me 3 years ago via my father. I do plan on shooting the rifle when I get the time in the near future.

The caliber is 30-30 and barrel length is 20 inches.
I carefully took her apart and did a complete inspection and cleaning. I am sure the rifle was never disassembled as every screw head was pristine. I was sure to keep them perfect as well. The rifle cycled just fine before cleaning but I was pretty amazed what accumulated inside during the first 100 years. The rifle cycles even better after a thorough cleaning and light lubrication.  Smiley

Zgun

IP Logged

Zgun
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Marlin Model 1893 - Family Gun
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
More Pics.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Nice Marlin, I'm glad it went to your home!

(Interesting front and rear-sights).

.30-30 is fun to shoot and reload.

IP Logged

Zgun
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
BR, The front sight and the rear peep on the top tang are stamped Marbles. I do not know if the rifle came from Marlin that way. The rear sight is a ladder sight which I have seen on other older Marlin lever action rifles but not often. I believe it is original but not sure of that. I am going to cast some bullets and handload some plinkers for this old girl.

Zgun

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 12:57am
Print Post  
The Marlin square bolt lever action has to be in my top 3 favorite rifles. Glad to see a family heirloom in your possession. I think the Marlins are all around better then any lever action. I have a round bolt Marlin in 30-30 made in 1975 and it has served me well for deer hunting.

In 1917 Townsend Whelen wrote in one his books that Marlin was making military guns for the war effort and stopped making lever actions. In his opinion he did not believe that Marlin would be making lever actions after the war due to them being obsolete. He was wright in many, many things except for this point. After 100 years Marlin lever actions are still being made.

Growing up watching the Rawhide series with Clint Eastwood, I always thought they were using Winchesters. But now that I know better I see that they used the Marlin square bolt lever action, at least in some of the shows I saw. I think they just look better than the round bolts.

Let us know how it shoots!!

IP Logged

Zgun
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Knute,

I have always favored the Marlin levers over the Winchester model 94 for 3 reasons. You can easily remove the Marlin bolt to clean from the breach (not so on a 94) and the side eject doesn't put hot brass on your head or down your Tee shirt. Also, scope mounting if that is what you want to do is painless as compared to the 94.

I have 3 Marlin model 336's, 1 in .219 Zipper and 2 in 30-30. Adding this old girl to the harem makes for a nice day. On a side note, I killed my first buck in 1968 with the 336 in .219 Zipper.

Thanks for the nice bit of trivia about Rawhide using square bolt Marlins in some episodes. I did not know that.

Zgun

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint