Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag posting of CMP forum (Read 1591 times)
Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag posting of CMP forum
Jan 14th, 2019 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Just FYI, a Krag for sale over on the CMP forum.  Listed top dollar (IMHO).  Sourced back to the Wisconsin Volunteers during the War.  Has the stock been sanded and refinished?  (You need to Login to view media files and links)  Not promoting the sale, just curious. 
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag posting of CMP forum
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
With the patina, light rust, varnished stock and no real cartouche, it sure looks like a nicely used rifle that would normally bring $800-900 on the current market. I would add more if the bore was in above average condition. It would look nicer with an 1896 rifle sight on it. The trigger guard is banged but it is just honest wear.

The documentation certainly adds a few hundred dollars. So, I think the current price of  $1250 is not unreasonable. I might want the price knocked down if it was wearing a sewer pipe, though.

The outline of the cartouche is faintly visible so the stock may be original and sanded, not necessarily an arsenal replacement that had no cartouche. The lightening cuts look strong, though. But it does look varnished.

Nice rifle. Not a big bargain but the documentation helps a ton.

Bid away!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
IMHO - A bit of "P.T. Barnum" in that description and avoidance of relevant things like 'bore-condition' and suspect condition of wood.

Number 48507 is documented in SRS Data. I think it highly unlikely anyone will find the name of the soldier it was issued to 'when the government re-opens'.

It is very much up to the Buyer how much value is added to a Krag by it being listed in SRS Data. I agree with 'Kerz' that the Seller is likely asking "Top Dollar".

(Personally, I am looking at the Gun and ignoring The Story).

The whole description makes me think, 'I have read this author before on Gun Broker'.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
I ALWAYS look at the pictures before reading the story, and if they are bad enough I may never read it! Smiley

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
I didn't even read the story. I agree, the pictures should speak for themselves with the amount you fork over. Stories can add a lot to value if they are documented and believable.

I couldn't see any pictures of the bore and most of the time the description of the bore is way off. I use a Hawkeye Borescope to check mine out and have been surprised at how different the bore can look if spying through the chamber up to the muzzle compared to a direct inspection with a scope.

I only buy a rifle I can't directly inspect, from an auction or Gun Broker, for example, if I feel like I am getting a bargain and won't feel too screwed if I get less than I hoped for. I have learned, with many people's help from this sight, to examine the pictures very, very carefully and ask for more if needed. I have come out on both sides of this gamble but feel that I am ahead of the game with the risks I have taken so far.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint