The Last Time (Read 2166 times)
Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The Last Time
Jan 14th, 2019 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Comments and discussions in my post about finished with stock finishes compel me to make this post.

Joe Farmer, despite self deprecating disclaimers in his book spent countless hours researching Krags. He did direct research into primary documents.He visited Rock Island Arsenal. He did not rely existing books, he set them aside and did his own digging.

The data he uncovered, the data he uses to back up his statements is there for all to see and use in his book. There are no "hidden discoveries". That includes what I learned about stock finishes.

He uncovered and unambiguously documents the heretofore unrecognized and unaccepted "Magazine Rifle" and explains it all in his book. Even I could understand it.

I have Mallory and I have Poyer. I paid 50 bucks for my copy of Mallory's book in excellent condition. Joe's book is 40 bucks. Joe's book is a bargain in comparison, it is far more detailed, provides more data. It's nice to have Mallory's book to go along with Joe's book. Joe's is dense, Mallory's is not so it lays a good foundation.

Joe's website is an adjunct to the book. I've learned a lot on that website.

This community is a damned small community. I don't know nor do I care about what went on before within this community. What I do care about is truthful data and the advancement Krag Collecting.

If you give a rats ass about collecting the American Krag Rifle you need a copy of Joe's book. It should be your first purchase, not your last.

In the words of Forest Gump: "and that's all I have to say about that".

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: The Last Time
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
I just got my copy and he deserves a lot more than what I paid him for his time, research, writing and humor.

He has a very small market for his book and will make no real profit off of it. It has to be a labor of love for a great hobby he has helped us all enjoy more.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Whig wrote on Jan 14th, 2019 at 5:38pm:
I just got my copy and he deserves a lot more than what I paid him for his time, research, writing and humor.

He has a very small market for his book and will make no real profit off of it. It has to be a labor of love for a great hobby he has helped us all enjoy more.

Thanks for finding the words that eluded me.

Mark

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Well said both!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Joe Farmer is like a god to me.  I base my life on his teachings.

Maybe we could fund an Easter Island-esque statue with his likeness.  Now the question is where to put it...

Seriously, I would have paid twice what he is asking for the book.  It gives one a greater sense of the thinking that was Ordnance in the ten years before and after 1900.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2019 at 8:25pm by Culpeper »  

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Received mine recently as well!

It's like a good novel that I can't put down and it's quickly becoming my first go-to-book for referencing everything Krag.

Well worth the money!!!

Joseph A. Farmer, may he forever be enshrined in the Krag Hall of Fame!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint