Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Mills Catalog circa 1893 (Read 1689 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Mills Catalog circa 1893
Jan 15th, 2019 at 6:55am
Print Post  
I purchased a small reprint Mills & Orndorff catalog, which the ebay vendor attributes to 1893.

This is likely a correct date, since the most modern cartridges pictured are .32-40 and .38-55.

There is a fair amount of minor trivia in the reprint catalog, which I found interesting.

Of note, when the catalog was printed:

For Military service two sizes of belts were made; a 45 loop (40 inches long) and a 50 loop (43 inches long).

On the early Mills belts, the ends are protected by a 'binding'; the riveted brass end-fitting does not appear in this catalog.

The sheet-brass buckles were made in two sizes (heights), patented in 1881, and in use by 1887.
A "Police" marked buckle was in use by the St. Paul, Minn. P.D.
When over 500 belts were ordered, a Die would be made for any buckle design ('logo') desired.
Mexico (Eagle), Republic of Chile, and Columbia ('Guardia') had buckles.

Woven Canvas belts are shown in the catalog with grommets for wire-hangers for 'trapdoor' bayonet, leather holster, and sword straps. (I had mistakenly thought the grommets came later).

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: Mills Catalog circa 1893
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Yep.  You just never know when ducks are going to mount a bayonet charge.  Have yours ready on your Mills belt at all times is what I say.  Get them before they gets you.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint