Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1896 carbine sight sold for... (Read 3410 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 carbine sight sold for...
Jan 15th, 2019 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
$811!! (Actually 2 separate bidders bid over $800!) Just finished on fleabay. I actually put a couple bids on it for what I thought was reasonable but was way outbid! I just recently bought an 1896 carbine with a correct 1896 carbine sight for less than this sight just sold for!

I guess we can raise our awareness of what 1896 carbine rear sights are worth!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 carbine sight sold for...
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Someone was nice enough to give me $700 a few months back for one that I found for $300 buy it now.  I also had my fingers on a short 98 carbine replacement stock about that time. I could've put together a mostly correct fake 98 carbine, but decided not too.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 2:53am
Print Post  
I know that the bargains are out there but not always in plain site. You have to dig and look for things mislabeled or hidden from plain view to get the great deals most of the time. I've found many treasures this way. Sometimes I get screwed but that's the fun of trying to find the difficult things.

Patience, in the case of Krag collecting, really is a virtue.

IP Logged

Newt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 2:01am
Print Post  
I was patient for 10 years--had a barreled action in the safe that I bought for $20.  Then all of a sudden I became impatient.  I got lots of good information and advice on here, test fired it, and started looking for a stock, sights, and metal parts.  Ebay, S&S Firearms, Grandpa's Gun Parts, and Numrich all had something I needed.  I haven't added it up yet but it's a good thing the rifle was only $20.  But when I get all the stuff I'm going to shoot that thing.  I think maybe the sellers are more patient than the buyers, which explains stuff like that $800 sight.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Some individuals employ, what I believe, deceptive means to obtain a firearm sell.

I come across Krag carbines all the time, that are for sale on Gun Broker, that have clear and sharp photos of the item being offered.  However, when you get to a picture of the rear sight...the picture is all of sudden out of focus and blurry?

In this case, most of the write-ups will have very little info or say something like "got this gun at an estate sale and don't know much about it...blah, blah, blah"...or "let the pictures speak for themselves."

Just saying that you need to ask the seller questions like "is that a carbine rear sight on that carbine?"  Also, do your homework when purchasing that super hot great deal because it may turn out to be a dud.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2019 at 2:45pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 3:39am
Print Post  
I just recently looked at Arms List, which I basically never do, and e-mailed a Krag rifle seller who had a few pictures and I wanted more info and better pictures. After a couple back and forths, he sends me a couple more pictures including one of the receiver with a blacked out serial number. I explained to him that I needed the serial number so I could understand what he had and research it if I needed to. He sent me the next e-mail explaining how rude I was in trying to get what I needed.

I hate Arms List and never have and never will buy through them for this kind of reason.

I politely wished him well in selling the rifle and stopped e-mailing him.

You're right. You have to be very careful who you're dealing with and don't fall for any tricks or deceptions. There are always more out there.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Someone just won themselves a very nice 1896 carbine.

Hope they realized that somethings are not as the seem to be.

Actually... I think the rear sight would have made a nice collectible!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 12:07am
Print Post  
How much did it sell for?

One gets what they deserve when they don't research what they are buying!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 1:09am
Print Post  
WoW!

Add $800 for a REAL 1896 carbine sight and they might have something to write home about.

We should all be so warned. Research, research and research. Pay attention to details. Learn from experts on this site.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 1:15am
Print Post  
I just looked at this carbine on Gun Broker and lots of the parts look reblued. The barrel band, the trigger guard, the butt plate and the barrel all look refinished from original. That rear sight stands out like a sore thumb but evidently not to the buyer.

I wouldn't have paid over $600 for it the way t is. Actually the buyer can return it for a full refund based on the item description that claims that the carbine is "all original"! And NO Refinish!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint