Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
requesting info about my 1898 JSA 1900 (Read 3009 times)
JeanKS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

requesting info about my 1898 JSA 1900
Jan 26th, 2019 at 2:56am
Print Post  
I'm new to the group and don't know much about Krags except what I've been reading on the posts.  I'm trying to find out more about a Krag my Dad got about 60 years ago: Model 1898, serial 301082 - is there any info on where it was sent? Or thoughts on where it may have been used?  It has a JSA cartouche with 1900 - is that production year?  It also has the circled script "P" and a "N" or "Z" marking.  Posting pictures and hoping to learn anything I can about it.  Thank you!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: requesting info about my 1898 JSA 1900
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2019 at 11:01am
Print Post  
JeanKS- Welcome to a great Krag collector's sight. You won't find more information about your beautiful family heirloom than right here. Many collectors will probably chime in with varying types of information to help you research your Krag.

You have a lot of correct information so far. You have a Model 1898 Krag rifle that appears to have been made in 1900 which matches the cartouche. The pictures you posted are real helpful in seeing exactly what you have. An additional picture of the cartouche would also be nice to see.

Your rifle seems to be full length without having had the barrel or stock cut down which was frequently done to make sporting and hunting rifles. The rear sight looks like an original 1898 rifle sight that has seen arsenal alteration done in or around 1902 to smooth the edges of the rear plate and add a "Sergeant Peep" device that could be turned up to sight through. These were added to assist sharp shooters who competed with Krag rifles in the early 1900s.

The "P" stamp behind the trigger guard is simply a proof mark that signifies the rifle had undergone proof firing. The cartouche signifies the date that the completed rifle was accepted to be used by the military.

Your rifle looks to be in really nice condition. It doesn't seem to have any bad pitting on the outside from the pictures, the stock looks very nice with good color and little damage. The condition of the bore would be nice to know which can help a little more to determine approximate value. Others have the complete listing of serial numbers of listed and documented rifles with known history. Yours is unlikely to have such because very few records were kept about documentation. But, that will be done by someone else soon.

I would say that your family heirloom has a resale value to a collector of at least $1200 if there is no documentation of the serial number. The condition of the bore can add or subtract a little from that price. Insurance value would be at least $1500.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2019 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Also, your rifle has a nice even patina everywhere which makes a collector think that it is unmolested and all the parts have been together for a long time. That is very important. The little letter stamped above the proof mark is just a production letter without significance.

An important comment on valuation of your Krag is that, as a family heirloom, it has unlimited value because it is something that has been kept and treasured by your dad and maybe others before him. Don't sell it! Pass it down to your kids or relatives.

You can look on gunbroker.com to see what some other Krags have sold for. Most of them are not as nice as your unmolested rifle.

These rifles were made very well 120 years ago. The metal and design of the rifle is strong. The balance and handling is great. The caliber of 30-40 Krag ammunition is an easy and powerful round for shooting, whether for hunting or target practice and can still be found today with a little patience. If you are unfamiliar with firearms, you might want a gunsmith to examine the rifle to make sure everything looks sound before firing it. But, many of us clean and reload the ammunition and shoot our Krags all the time. It's a wonderful experience to shoot an important piece of US military history.

So, enjoy your family rifle and welcome again to the Krag Collector's Association. Give us more information about your rifle and let us know how you are enjoying it!

IP Logged

JeanKS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2019 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that feedback.  One of my nephews would like to have it, mostly for the connection with his grandfather, and it would be good for  him to know details about the Krag.  I may have to keep it myself for awhile though and learn how to use it.  I am checking with a couple of gunsmiths to check the condition, so should know more in another week.  It's probably been 20 years since the Krag was used, but has been cleaned & oiled several times since then.  I'm adding a few more photos.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2019 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Forgot to ask, if you pop open the cover on the butt plate, is there anything inside? That area is cut away to store an oiler and a three piece cleaning rod set.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2019 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Very nice Krag.  Looks like a shooter to me!  Hope the inspection works out.
Vic
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2019 at 9:45am by Kerz »  

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2019 at 6:59am
Print Post  
'JeanKS' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You have a nice model 1898 Krag that has been in your family for a long time.

There is no listing for #301082 in the Springfield Research Services Data that was printed in Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story", second edition, (or any number close to it).

#301082 was likely first assembled at Springfield Armory, around December, 1900, or January, 1901.

It is possible your stock and hand-guard, were not the original wood on your Krag.

Lots of Krags went back to Springfield or other arsenals for repair and rebuilding. Wood and metal components got switched around during the process.

Your wood appears to be Italian walnut. A lot of this was used in Krag stocks and hand-guards during the period 1899 to 1901. The small 'N' on your stock is likely the 'mark' of a sub-inspector or "stocker".

Your rear sight appears to be a variation of the 1902 Sight, that utilized a re-shaped model 1898 'three-notch' eye-piece and leaf, mounted on a model 1902 base.
A photo of the base, with the leaf 'up', so that the spring can be seen, would verify this.

IP Logged

JeanKS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 2:47am
Print Post  
I really appreciate the responses.  I'll check opening the cover on the butt plate and take a photo of the rear sight leaf up.  That's disappointing that there's no listing for the serial number, but not surprising from what I've seen on other posts.  But, it's interesting learning about the Krag.  My dad would have enjoyed all this. 

IP Logged

cquickel
KCA Forum Member

Krag Lover

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
You mind if I add your rifle to the KCA serial number database?

Curt Quickel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint