Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
UPS Shipping Damage Claim (Read 2957 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

UPS Shipping Damage Claim
Jan 29th, 2019 at 12:29am
Print Post  
I have done a lot of shipping and receiving of gun parts, equipment and firearms over the years and have had a very few times when the shipper has damaged the item(s) bad enough that I have filed a claim against them for payment from insurance. This has happened with UPS, Fed Ex and USPS. They have all done it. It just happened again to a shipment of Krag parts, including a carbine stock, whereby the box was severely damaged and I filed a claim for payment of damages.

There are specific things to do and a way to go about filing a claim and actually receiving payment from these companies. I thought I would share a few thoughts on this from experience in case it happens to anyone else. I have attached some pictures to illustrate some of this.

First, realize you may not be home when a damaged package is dropped off. If you are, and the box is obviously damaged, have the delivery person make a note in his computer and on the box itself that they have witnessed the damaged box at the time of delivery. They are typically very agreeable to this because they are usually innocent and they don't have to pay for it.

But, if you get it later, take pictures of the unopened box from all angles and sides before opening it. This can be vital to proving your claim. Open it and take lots of pictures of the wrapping material and the item that might be damaged. If you open the damaged box and everything is OK, just be glad and move on. But, if there is damage, take pictures, close ups if possible. You need to tell a story with your pictures. The better visual documentation, the greater the chance of getting a claim approved. The type of box and packing material is important. If it was packed crappy, you might not get a claim approved. If the box was packed by something like a UPS store, they are liable even more.

But, remember that the contract for shipping is between the sender and the shipping company. The claim needs to be initiated by the sender. (con't)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: UPS Shipping Damage Claim- Part II
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 12:41am
Print Post  
So, talk with the sender (seller) and have them contact the shipping company to open a claim. A lot of times, as is with this most recent one for me, the UPS Store that sent it for the seller handled the claim and was my contact point. Keep lists of names and dates when you talk to anyone about this. It sometimes takes weeks or months to get this done! They will want the pictures e-mailed to a security expert who handles damage claims and they have a list of questions they will ask. It is drawn out and complicated for a reason. They don't pay easily.

The claims person evaluates the claim with the info given about the package and the pictures and makes a determination about approval of the claim. Important: They will not do most of this and it will be forgotten if you don't constantly call and bug them about it! I am relentless and will hound them, politely, until each step is done.

I had to call the UPS store manager constantly to make sure he was getting the claim processed. He was nice and did a lot to help but only because I called twice a week or more. 

They will also want to know what the value of the damaged item is. This can be very subjective but get comparable items from ebay or Gun Broker and e-mail links for these sold items. I found two recent Krag stock sales of around $400 and they used these for valuation. (I paid $180 for the entire lot!) It doesn't matter what you paid. It matters what value you can document the item(s) damaged at or replacement value. I hit them up with the fact that this was a 120 year old antique they ruined. The package was insured for $400.

The claim I have was approved because the damaged box was obviously their negligence and they agreed with that. See the pictures for yourself. They said it got caught in a conveyor system.

So, my claim was approved, they approved the documented value at $400 and they will also repay the shipping charge that was levied for that shipment. (con't)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: UPS Shipping Damage Claim - Part III
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 12:57am
Print Post  
So, my claim is getting reimbursed at $437 because they screwed up and I did my work at proving it.

Keep in mind that the UPS (or Fed Ex or USPS) delivery person will not voluntarily admit damage or say anything when they drop your pile of crap off even if the box is torn up and things are falling out. I had this happen with USPS once. Absolutely amazing. Things were falling out and some items lost and they just dropped it off like it was a box of fresh Florida oranges.

The manager of the UPS store is sending the check to me directly because I have dealt with him personally and I already paid the shipper for the items. Sometimes, they will insist sending the check to the sender (seller) and you have to trust they will send it to you. Call and keep in touch and be polite to everyone. It really helps. Don't throw out anything from the box until it is all done. And take pictures of the shipping label, too. (If a shipment you send is damaged, flip some of this around. Do what you can to help your buyer with this ordeal.)

This is long and I may have missed something but it takes a lot to get the job done. Take pictures, document, elaborate when it helps and be persistent in calling and bugging them. Hope this helps if you ever have this misfortune.

(BTW, I can glue and repair this damaged stock but I will sell it as a repaired item if I don't use it myself. Nothing else was damaged in this box.)
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2019 at 10:09am by Whig »  

IP Logged

Suredan
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: UPS Shipping Damage Claim
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Good info. Thanks Whig.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 1:20am
Print Post  
You're welcome. Great place to share this experience.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 2:53am
Print Post  
And a bit of advice for YOU!   Cheesy Cheesy

Don't permit your address to show on anything you post in public view!!!!!

Excellent advice about claims! We just got $1600 out of UPS for some smashed heritage stemware by basically doing the same things you did.

Regards,

Dick

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 10:01am
Print Post  
I have had about 5 claims of damages and I have worked and gotten all of them paid to my satisfaction. You have been there. You know that you have to follow their rules of engagement. It's a game but played right we can win it.

Having said that, you have to have real damage. It doesn't have to be major damage, though, but always elaborate and make it seem as bad as possible.

And, I saw my address on that later and figured that it's already out there for anyone to find, unfortunately. Not many secrets these days but good advice. I removed the obvious one just now, thanks.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2019 at 12:06pm by Whig »  

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Agreed. All one needs to do is Google their name to provide sufficient nightmare fodder for a lifetime, but there's still no point in just handing it to them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint