Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
This one is Whig's fault! (Read 1627 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

This one is Whig's fault!
Jan 29th, 2019 at 2:57am
Print Post  
'Whig' didn't squish this front barrel-band in shipping. I bought it this way!

(It was probably run over by a Spanish Tank ... or 'Bubba' hammered it into submission to fit it to one of his nefarious projects).

No ... all those pictures and talk of school rifles whet my appetite to build a faux School Rifle out of junk parts.

I bought it cheap on ebay to rehabilitate into a 'school rifle' front band and avoid ruining a good one.

It's Whig's fault; he fed my Krag lust!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: This one is Whig's fault!
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Heck, I was actually thinking of making another front school barrel band the way I used a mandrel approach to make the one for mine since it worked well. I was going to see if anyone here wanted me to do it but I see that now I have started a trend! I looked for one for sale a long time and never found one.

I used an old barrel tightened well in my vise and marked the exact place where the barrel band fits on the school rifle. Then I used a brass hammer to pound away on the band fit over the barrel at that marked place. I carefully pounded and made the fit, as you see in the pictures, quite exact to the barrel. I did not have to heat the band at all to get this done. It was a cold fitment.

Good luck. I saw this band on ebay and passed it up because I have a few extra. But, the price was good!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint