Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Krag hand guard (Read 5632 times)
soonerfan66
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag hand guard
Jan 30th, 2019 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Can anyone tell me if any other Springfield rifle hand guard fit a Krag ? Waited to long to order one from Taylor cause their web sight said no longer make them and have not had any luck anywhere else .

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag hand guard
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 2:36am
Print Post  
I have never heard of any other rifle's wood fitting a Krag. If it was true, I'm sure we would all know about it.

But, that's just speculation. keep searching ebay and Gun Broker for what you need. It gets competitive, though. This one just finished on ebay. It's a pretty nice one but still expensive.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Zgun
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
S&S Firearms does carry all the Krag hand guards (new) but they are out of stock currently. You can go to the site and find the one you want, and click on notify me when back in stock.

Zgun

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Reproduction hand guards are a nice option but they need to be stained, or oiled, to get them to match the traditional, or existing, color of the Krag stock. That's not always easy but can be done with patience. Also, some of them need some filing or sanding to get them to fit exactly or there may be damage done if you try to force fit. It takes extra effort if you have to add wood product to build up an area, also, that may show a gap.

But, it's a nice project to work on to make your Krag look great again! Good luck.

IP Logged

soonerfan66
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Well I feel better knowing S&S should be getting more in , how long they been out ? Seems everyone is out and was starting to think they stopped making them ! What happened to mine was that I took it apart and did something I have tried not to do  on any rifle . When pushing the hand guard down onto barrel I push on top of the clips BUT this time pushed down toward the end of it and my thumb went right threw the wood breaking about 2 inches off into splinters  , I about got sick .

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Can you post pictures of your damaged hand guard? These things, as bad as they might be, often can be repaired. Many of us have done simple and complicated stock repairs. Might be easier and better than the alternatives. Cheaper, too.

There are different epoxies and synthetic (fake) wood products that can be stained and sanded and drilled. I have used many.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Sadly, your technique is what damaged the part. The proper way to remove/install a handguard is to remove the rear sight and slide the wood forward to a point where it may be lifted off (or put back on) without stress.

Though tempting, and seemingly correct, you do NOT want to 'snap' the part on and off.

Of course, a handguard may have invisible damage simply due to age, and split even if you are careful. So, the best approach - unless removal is absolutely necessary - is to leave it in place.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Prudence is the word...

My recently purchased Krag's handguard clips were all gummed up from years of crud.

I cleaned around the clips and gingerly removed the handguard with no problems utilizing techniques learned on this forum.

Soonerfan66, unfortunately many of us have made the same mistake.  Hope your able to repair the damage.

BTW: Can you spare a nickle and quarter???... They come in handy after removing the handguard.  Place the nickle between the clips on the front of the guard and the quarter in the the rear.  Helps keep the clip tension from cracking the wood.

p.s. The status of the handguards on S&S website hasn't changed in years... in fact it's gotten worse!  Since the current lack of reproduction handguards folks have been scouring the web buying up ever available Krag handguard... repro or not!    Hence, the bidding wars of Krag handguards on auction sites like Ebay.  Supply and demand!!!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
It is possible 'Taylor/Schwartz' was the source of the reproduction hand-guards that were being sold by S&S and Numrich Arms.

It might be worthwhile contacting a couple of the vendors listed in the KCA 'Classifieds' to see if they have an original of the specific hand-guard you need.

A solid original hand-guard is much nicer than the reproductions.

Dick Hosmer is totally correct about the safe way of removing a Krag hand-guard, by sliding it down the barrel taper. This does require carefully removing the rear-sight and stock. (Many original hand-guards have the start of fine cracks).

The hand-guard wood is under spring pressure when it is off of the barrel. It is wise to store a loose hand-guard with coins, (a quarter and nickel or penny), twisted into the spring-clips, to negate the pressure.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
When I have removed and cleaned and repaired a few cracked hand guards, I have used two correctly sized nuts that fit inside of the tensioned clips. I carefully clean the crack(s) and glue them with the clips in place to recreate, and take stress off of, the proper positioning when they are on the firearm. When the glue is well dried, I use linseed oil and rub layers of this on and let dry before carefully returning the hand guard to it's rightful resting place. Those clips are under a tremendous amount of spring tension and need to be handled properly as mentioned above.  If the clip is loose to the hand guard wood, I epoxy it to the wood so it isn't pulling constantly on the rivets which will easily break loose.

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 8:41am
Print Post  
The ones that S&S had seemed to be the same ones that one guy was making. That guy....I messaged him.....said that his son was making those and that, because of health concerns, is NO LONGER making them. I think there is only one other maker of a repro hand guard. otherwise, you are just going to have to search and cough up the money or buy a beater rifle and cannibalize parts.

soonerfan66 wrote on Jan 30th, 2019 at 1:53pm:
Well I feel better knowing S&S should be getting more in , how long they been out ? Seems everyone is out and was starting to think they stopped making them ! What happened to mine was that I took it apart and did something I have tried not to do  on any rifle . When pushing the hand guard down onto barrel I push on top of the clips BUT this time pushed down toward the end of it and my thumb went right threw the wood breaking about 2 inches off into splinters  , I about got sick . 

IP Logged

soonerfan66
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
As the great Forrest Gump said stupid is as stupid does .Believe me I have been kicking myself for this . My Krag does not have the original rear sights they were removed and peep sights were put on sometime  . Was going to try and put original sights back on plus the mag cut off when first got few years back but the peep sight shoots so good . Will post some pictures asap . Someone filled in the opening for the rear sight I was hoping to get a solid hand guard replacement since I am leaving the peep sight . My hand guard is still usable but I do not think it is repairable . And my Krag is a cut down rifle .

IP Logged

soonerfan66
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
One idea someone gave was since my rifle is a bit mismatched anyway was to cut off the bad part on the hand guard and slide it back . Just not sure about doing that thou .

IP Logged

soonerfan66
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
pictures of hand guard

IP Logged

soonerfan66
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Tried to post picture of rear peep sight but I am not very tech savy . It is a Redford type mounted on rear by the bolt handle , has two knobs on side and top for adjustments .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint