Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Competition Loads for 30-40 Krag? (Read 2330 times)
GunGrunt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Competition Loads for 30-40 Krag?
Feb 21st, 2019 at 5:53am
Print Post  
I recently acquired an 1898 Krag (actually made in 1903) that I plan to use in CMP Vintage Rifle matches.  I have searched the Internet for what might be the most common loads for competition.  Based on the post found on other forums I have decided to start with either the 180gr Hornady RN and 42gr of IMR4350, or the 220gr Hornady RN and 42.2gr of IMR4350. 

Powder/Bullet choice -- Any comments?  180gr or 220gr?  What are other CMP Krag shooters using?  Again, based on the comments on other forums I went with RN over spitzer due to concerns with chambering the round.

COAL - Both Sierra and Lee state that the maximum COAL length should be 3.089"  This seems to fit and flow through the magazine with no problem, but I have had an occasionaly hang up with the second or third cartridge.  I think this is due more to a dirty follower than cartridge length.  Thoughts?

180gr vs 220gr Bullet -- As with my 1917 Enfield and 1903A3 I tried to come up with an "on the lands" COAL.  I have a tool I use to push a bullet forward through a chambered case until it contacts the lands and grooves, but it seems the extended throat of the 1898 makes this impossible.  Using the 180gr bullet, the bullet falls out of the case long before it makes contact with the lands and grooves.  The 220gr bullet just reaches the lands and grooves before losing contact with the neck of the case.  For this reason it seems far less power will be lost by using the 220gr bullet over the 180gr bullet.

What are your thoughts and recommendations on this subject?  Thanks in advance for any and all comments and suggestions.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Competition Loads for 30-40 Krag?
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Best I ever done at Camp Perry was back in 2011, before my eyesight started going.  123gr .310 diameter Hornady V-Max @ around 2500fps.  The barrel on my rifle was like new and I could stick them out into the rifling near max length.  With the high nitro powder I was using, it wasn't long and that was no longer happening!  Few spitzer bullets will get you out there and remain within magazine length.  I'm going to give Nosler 220s a try someday, though they are expensive.  BC is as high as a 173gr FMJBT!  You're working in the right areas, it's just a matter of getting the rifle's opinion!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
FWIW - A lot of the competitive shooters on the KCA Forum seem to use and prefer 220 grain RN projectiles and IMR or Hogdon 4350 propellants. With the projectile moving near 2,000 FPS, they find a good agreement with their original sight calibrations.

If you view older threads on this section, (numbers at bottom of page), you will find some relevant loads and discussion.

The nice long neck, on the .30-40 case, allows seating most projectiles to a generous OAL. The controlling factor is 'fitting in the magazine'.

Individual Krags vary in their ability to feed 'pointed' bullets. Sometimes, different Left side-plates can give better feed.

The U.S. Krag was designed to feed the 220 grain RN.

Most Krags tolerate 180 grain hunting projectiles well.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 3:30am
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

I shoot Sierra 220 RN over 40 grains of IMR 4350.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Same here 220 gr. over 40 gr IMR4350. 42.2 seems a little hot

IP Logged

GunGrunt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Great info from all.  Thanks a bunch for your responses.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint