Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 My first Krag (Read 9411 times)
Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My first Krag
Reply #15 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Whig, thanks for all the great info, it is greatly appreciated. I’ve learned more about Krags and my carbine in one afternoon than I probably could have learned in weeks or more. I think it’s entirely plausible that the marks were from some form of secured rest or fixture. Thank you for the photo.

I have a friend who owns and shoots several Krags and reloads his own ammo. I have shot his which convinced me to buy this one when it came along. I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, but plan to soon. Ammo is for available locally, though it’s not cheap. Reloading may be my next investment...

Mike

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Many model 1899 carbines were altered by civilian owners to satisfy personal tastes.

I suspect those two plugged holes on Mike's stock could be the remains of where a wood or metal pistol-grip was anchored.

A surplus metal grip for the model 1873 Springfield use to be readily available. One of these could have been screwed to Mike's stock and repositioned for a better 'feel'.  Such a device could have made depressions in the wood similar to those on the stock in question.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2019 at 12:30pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 5:15am
Print Post  
'Mike4MSU' - I posted more pictures of my 1899 carbine front-sight on my earlier post for your review.

FWIW - The rear mounting screw, on your 1901 carbine rear-sight, appears to be standing 'proud'. The screw head should be flush with the top of the sight base.
Possibly the wrong Krag sight screw has been used. (Some 1892-1896 sight- screws have a thicker head).

Your Krag model 1899 carbine, (serial number - 279965), likely was assembled around August, 1900, to September, 1900. This is just after the model 1898 carbine rear-sigh was discontinued.

It is possible, the initial sight on your carbine was the model 1896 carbine-sight. It is also probable, that your carbine was updated to the 1901 sight early in its service.

You have a nice model 1899 carbine. The only change, I would make, would be that tall rear-sight screw.

Attached photos showing correct 1901 sight screws.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2019 at 9:51am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
More about the Engineer Carbine taken from Mallory's "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition, page 105.

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
‘Local Boy’ - Thanks for the info on the engineers modification for some Krag Carbines.

‘Local Boy’, ‘Whig’ and ‘Butlers Rangers’ - Upon closer inspection of the two indentation marks behind the trigger guard, it is indeed two holes that were filled. IF this was one of the engineers carbines modified in the field, I wonder if it was the rear sling cutting jig that created the two holes.

‘Butlers Rangers’ - I removed the rear screw that was standing proud of the 1901 rear sight base. The head of the screw is too large to fit in the recess pocket of the sight base, although it looks to be the same age and patina as the rest of the carbine and sight. I went to grandpas parts and a few other places that might have the correct screw, but could only find the original longer front screws or reproduction rear screws. Until I find an original rear screw, I’ll likely leave the current one in place. Thanks for identifying the improper screw.

Mike

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
'Mike' - Thin headed Krag sight screws are relatively common, since at least one is used with all Krag rear sight models.

S&S Firearms (Glendale, N.Y.) has repro screws and some originals. Their catalog is viewable online.

There are a couple of vendors in the KCA 'Classifieds' that can likely supply the correct screw.

The part shows up on ebay from time to time.

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 12:03am
Print Post  
I truly appreciate everyone’s input, comments and education. I’m attaching a couple more photos.

There was a 3 piece cleaning rod and oiler in the butt of the stock, I can attach photos if anyone is interested, but assume it’s nothing unusual. What I did notice is that there is the number 16 with a 44 underneath it. Any significance to the number inside the butt door?

While not the best, I’ve also attached a photo of the bore. Under light, there’s a couple of spots within the first 1/2” or so of the bore which you can see in the photo. After that, it’s quite clean and fairly shiny. Rifling is very strong throughout.

I also took the advise from ‘butlersrangers’ and found a correct period original 1901 rear sight screw which I hope to receive shortly.

Mike

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Bore is always hard to evaluate by these pictures. Looks good enough to be a good shooter. I got a nice Hawkeye borescope years ago which was one of my best non-firearm investments for my shooting hobby and business. We all know, though, that even a bad bore can shoot quite well. You just need to test different loads in your Krag to find which bullet and powder combination shoots best with your Krag. That's a big part of the fun of Krag collecting.

Those numbers on the butt plate cover are meaningless. There are some reproduction cleaning rods and oilers out there but most of what you may find around are authentic. They're nice to have for your Krag.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Keep us informed about any further experiences. If one of us can help, we'll do our best.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
The butt caps were hand fitted to the butt plate and both stamped with matching numbers.

Your butt plate should have the same numbers arranged in a similar pattern as your butt plate cover.

Always nice to find the cleaning rods and oiler in the butt stock... Unfortunately for me it's always an added expense  Cry... currently averaging $50 bucks a pop for a set.

IP Logged

Kooler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 12:50am
Print Post  
It`s too bad that Lee still does not make the Lee Loader in 30-40. I started reloading with one almost 50 years ago with one for my sporter `98 . That was the first reloading that I ever did and it filled the bill for an inexpensive outfit that worked quite well.

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I’ve currently got my eye on a Dillon 550 for about $260. Doesn’t have the 30-40 dies with it, but at a retail price of $1.60 to $2.00 it wouldn’t take much to pay for itself. Especially if I were to load 45-70 as well.

Mike

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I've always used my single stage outfit for reloading my 30-40 Krag and other large rifle cartridges that I want consistent accuracy with. I just like a little more attention to each operation. I weigh out each load very carefully with most rifle rounds, especially when loading for long distance precision shooting.

But, you can't go wrong with Dillon's "No Bull$$it" guarantee! They have saved me many times over the years. I have loaded many tens of thousands of rounds on my Dillon XL650 press. Make sure you check powder weights for your loads and recheck frequently. Sometimes small variations can affect accuracy a lot.

Good luck! Keep us informed of the results.

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Local Boy - As a follow up to your posted article on the engineer carbine, would you also be willing to post the information on the engineering sling referenced in Chapter 17?

Thank you,
Mike

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Here ya go Mike.

Here's a site that has an example of one:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Local Boy - Thank you very much, I couldn’t find any information online. Sounds like my next purchase should be a book on Krags. If you were to buy one, which book would it be?

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint