Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
 25 Long Range Chances (Read 20648 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Long Range Chances
Reply #30 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Yes, the Springfield and Vintage are combined events, but I shoot both (Vintage will be shot Saturday afternoon after the Garand match, and Springfield will be shot Sunday morning). 

Now I wish I had a separate 03A3 for the Long Range match.... things would be a lot less complicated!  Anyway, I really do appreciate all of the advice, and I hope I'm not sounding curt or crass.  I'm just trying to take all of this in.  With all of the experience I've gained in loading and shooting over the last 30 odd years, this LR shooting is a totally new deal for me, and I'm eager to learn, but definitely willing to listen to advice too.

It sounds like I'd better get a separate front sight blade that I can modify.  My 200 yard accuracy is dead on for the 200 yard setting, and I really don't want to screw with that, so I would take a different blade and tools to swap it out after shooting the Springfield match.  Any idea of how short to cut the blade as a starting point to get close?  I'll take a file to the firing line too!

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #31 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 4:20am
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 12:13am:
. . . Any idea of how short to cut the blade as a starting point to get close? . . .

Center hold: +6.5 MOA x .008" = .051" shorter (presuming issue blade prints center at 200 yard setting and range)
6:00 hold: +2.1 MOA for 22" radius of aiming black x .008" = .017": Total .068" shorter
Frame hold: +3.4 MOA for half of 6' frame height x .008 = .027": Total .078" shorter.

Below is trajectory data with 1000 yard zero. "PATH" column shows where we expect group center at various ranges. Handy if you have to sight in at shorter range.

Top image is "standard" atmosphere. Bottom is corrected for altitude at Viale range and a medium-hot summer day. Note how much difference this makes in drop, path, and drift. Working with 1000-yard stuff can get complicated!

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2019 at 6:02am by Parashooter »  

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #32 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Paul
You might consider a USMC type reproduction sight from Bill Bentz.  These are significantly wider than standard sights (plus as-issued legal should you want one for Springfield games).  He does make them in various heights.  Send him an email and advise your intended plans.  I'm sure he can help out. 
dcm450shtr@comcast.net
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

TexTenn59
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Reply #33 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Have you tried the old M1 Rifle sighting target?  I've used them to get in the ball park.  Set target at 50 yds and use a 6 O'clock on the black circle at the bottom. For scopes, you sight with horizontal cross hair like a 6 O'clock hold.

I bought mine from National Target Company (ST-1) at: (You need to Login to view media files and links)

I could mail you a couple if you would like.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #34 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I emailed Bill Vic... thanks very much.

Tex... That would be amazing.  Please let me know what I would owe you.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #35 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
If you have to sight in at 50 yards, the ST-1 target should work well since it's designed for M72 Match ammo, with a MV ~2650fps and BC near .500 - the same as we've been suggesting for your LR handloads. See this article for some M72 handload information - (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Looking at the ruler on the target, we can see the 1000-yard line is ~19.3" above center bull, corresponding to ~38.6" at 100 yards (drop being negligible from 50 to 100 yards).

If you can sight in at 100 yards and want the same effect, just mark your target some 38.6" above center bull and adjust sights to group there. To simulate a 6:00 hold on the LR target at 1000, use a 4.4" aiming black.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #36 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Hey Paul
Let us know what Bentz recommends for a 1000 yd sight.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #37 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Well... Mr. Bentz offered to sell me a sight, but did not recommend a height.  He just told me to let him know what height I need the sight to be.  I haven't got a clue!  I guess I need to know what height I need to be able to use the 600 yard setting on the rear sight for 1000 yards.  That way, I can go up or down to fine tune things!  Does anyone know?

Sorry if I sound like I'm in over my head, and haven't got a clue.  The truth is... I'm in over my head, and I haven't got a clue!!!  I really want to get this right the first time, and learn!  I'm just asking for help...

Addendum:  I just noticed Para's recommendations on blade heights.  Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not quite sure which height I need, so if someone can please explain to help me understand.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #38 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Mar 21st, 2019 at 9:29pm:
. . .I just noticed Para's recommendations on blade heights.  Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not quite sure which height I need, so if someone can please explain to help me understand. . .

OK, first thing would be to determine where to measure. You could measure from the top of the blade to the top of the base, from the top of the blade to the top of the barrel, or even from the top of the blade to the bottom surface of the band that holds the base on the barrel. If you want to remove the blade, you can measure it from top to bottom or from top to pin hole.

Once you've chosen where to measure, apply that choice to your existing front sight and measure it as precisely as you can.  Then make, buy, or alter a new blade that will be shorter than the existing one when measured in the same way. How much shorter depends on your load and your hold.

If you'll be using the same hold ("6:00" for example) at 1000 yards as you do at 200 and your 03A3 puts your long-range handloads in the center at 200 with the existing blade, you'll want your new blade to be about .050 shorter than your existing blade.  Leave the blade a bit tall and bring a file to the range for final adjustment.

You can check the new blade at 100 yards by setting the elevation to 800 and looking for a group ~39" above center bull - or ~74 at 200 (presuming a MV near 2650 fps and BC near .500.). If using a 6:00 hold at 100, use a 4.4" aiming black to emulate the size of the 44" LR target black at 1000 yards. At 200, use 8.8" bull.   

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #39 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Mar 21st, 2019 at 9:29pm:
. . . I need to know what height I need to be able to use the 600 yard setting on the rear sight for 1000 yards.  That way, I can go up or down to fine tune things! . .

Sounds like a good idea, giving you some leeway if you need to come up a bit and don't have time to start filing on your blade. To calculate this, we need to look at Bob S's table of MOA values for the A3 sight at (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Adding up the MOA values for all the graduations from 200 to 600, we get a total of 16.5 MOA. Looking at the ballistics for a BC ~.500 bullet at ~2650 fps, we find we'll need to come up about 36.5 MOA from 200 to 1000. Since the 600-yard setting gets us only to 16.5 MOA, we get the remaining 20 MOA with a shorter front sight. One MOA change requires a .008" change of the sight, so .008" x 20 = .16". You'll need a blade about that much shorter than your existing one. That will look pretty short compared to the issue blade.

Now you can check the new blade at 100 yards by setting the elevation to 600 and looking for a group ~39" above center bull - or ~74 at 200 (presuming a MV near 2650 fps and BC near .500.). If using a 6:00 hold at 100, use a 4.4" aiming black to emulate the size of the 44" LR target black at 1000 yards. At 200, use 8.8" bull. 

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2019 at 8:39pm by Parashooter »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #40 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 11:49am
Print Post  
As always...  My friends here at KCA are the BEST!  Thank you so very much for your help and understanding.  Like I said, this is all so new to me, and I know it'll be great once I get it all together.  Usually, I can go out and shoot and be pretty successful at it... and have been so far.  But In this case, I don't want to make any mistakes or look like a fool (which I usually am). 

I have a new blade on the way which is shorter than standard, and I'll further reduce it based on your recommendations.  I'll be sighting at 100 yards, and hopefully I'll get it all set. 

I cannot thank you enough Para!!!

A foot note:. The friend sending me the  sight blade is also a fellow Krag shooter, and he joked "You're not going to shoot your Krag at 1000 yards?". We had a good chuckle over that!  Grin

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #41 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Mar 22nd, 2019 at 11:49am:
. . . he joked "You're not going to shoot your Krag at 1000 yards?". We had a good chuckle over that!  Grin

What's so funny? Huh

If you have a good Krag with 1901 or 1902 sights, you might have a better time at 1000 yards than with the 03A3 - and you won't have to modify the as-issued configuration.

All you need is good VLD bullets with a high BC, like the Berger 185-grain  in the table below. Bullet info at: (You need to Login to view media files and links)

QuickLOAD estimates getting a 185 up to 2450 fps is a relatively easy job for a 30" Krag. 42.8 grains of IMR 4350, OAL 3.2" could be one way to do it well below CIP Pmax of 3250 bar (piezo transducer - equivalent to ~39000 CUP). Supersonic all the way - and less wind drift than your 30/06 loads with the 175's and H4831SC.

Table below shows calculated ballistics for a such a load at Viale in summer. Compare to the tables in reply #31 on this topic to see how the old Krag can compete!
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2019 at 11:12pm by Parashooter »  

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #42 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
I seriously doubt that my V-V Tin Star Krag loads would even go 1000 yards. But they seem to do ok at 100. Brings to mind another great movie line, ‘a man’s got to know his limitations.’

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #43 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Parashooter wrote on Mar 22nd, 2019 at 9:33pm:
What's so funny? Huh

If you have a good Krag with 1901 or 1902 sights, you might have a better time at 1000 yards than with the 03A3 - and you won't have to modify the as-issued configuration.

Hmmmmmmm  Now you got me thinking...  I bet I'd be the only Krag shooting in the LR Match!  Maybe I should rethink this!

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #44 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
All depends on how your Krag groups with VLD's. If it's as good as your A3, why not use a real rifle instead of that stamped-out war baby!?

Here's some text from Berger's web page on their 185 "Juggernaut" -

Quote:
Berger Juggernaut Target Bullets utilize Berger’s industry-leading hybrid ogive, which blends tangent and secant designs to optimize efficiency, reduce wind-drift, and minimize sensitivity to seating depth. Its name was derived from its ability to move from transonic stage to subsonic with little disruption, where most bullets see an accelerated decrease in accuracy at these extreme long ranges. Juggernaut Target Bullets are competition proven and a favorite amongst today’s top Mil/LE professionals, long range competition shooters and others for range, target, and tactical applications.

Sounds interesting! Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint