Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Western 29 brass (Read 9370 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Western 29 brass
Reply #15 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I encountered a problem once when trying to use large pistol primers in a cast bullet load.  I had a heavy 27# Wolf striker spring in my rifle, and the primer pockets were uniformed, maybe a little deep.  I thought the pistol primers were being pierced, but what was really happening is that they could not stretch far enough to contact the boltface with the firing pin sticking in the middle of them.  Oh, they came back and contacted the boltface, but they had to give somewhere in order to do it.  The dent of the firing pin was where they gave.  Pressure must've dropped some before that happened, wasn't a whole lot of gas escaped, but enough to leave a mark on the boltface.  As mentioned, it was cast bullet load, probably didn't produce more than 30,000psi.  With a full power load it may have allowed more gas to escape.  With a lighter spring the primers didn't tear in the middle of the dent.

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - May 18th, 2019 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
My memory ain't what it used to be, but IIRC, I inventoried a bunch of loaded Krag cartridges h/s "Western 29" at Lualualei Naval Ammunition Depot in Dec. 1961.  They were loads for sub-caliber artillery training devices.  Loaded with spitzer bullets, 170 or 180 grain.

IP Logged

Magilla26
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - May 22nd, 2019 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
I bought a 20 round box of loaded 30-40 ammo at a gun show a few years ago.  The brass was marked Western 29.  They were in a brown cardboard military box that was in bad shape. It was loaded with 220 grain round nose FMJ bullets.  I pulled the bullets and fired the primers off.  Very weak primers, made very little noise when I fired them.  I have reloaded the brass a few times with low pressure cast bullet loads.  My brass takes a standard large rifle primer and the brass is holding up well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint