Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 My gaudy Garand (Read 5387 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My gaudy Garand
Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
I've been running a repro pronged flash hider for so long, the regular gas cylinder nut has gotten away from me.  Just looked through my tool box, no go!  I have way too many small boxes that I don't know the contents of!  Easier to buy another than it is to hunt for it!  I'm definitely going back to the regular muzzle, cause I want to shoot some more of these cast loads!  My gas cylinder has been worked on, the rear ring is enlarged doesn't touch the barrel, when everything is properly tightened to my  done long ago peening.  The inside of this adaptor nut is a cone from the rifle's muzzle to the end, when I look down it it doesn't look well centered in relation to the bore.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Here's a couple of the cast bullets I was shooting the other day.  The ogive is .305" tapering to .307" just ahead of the top driving band.  Seated  down till about half that top band is in the neck, you can see why it filled the throat!  I have this mold in 3 sizes, the original Eagan, and both a .314 and .316 NOE base pour version.  The .316 version is for a well worn Mosin that I got cheap.  I have a 6mm version of this bullet too, and was able to get very good, bug hole accuracy, from a 1/8 5r Obermeyer barreled 6x45 with the bullet going 2100fps.  I sorta figured I could get the alloy going faster in a 1/10 and maintain  accuracy.  Now to get that gas system tightened up!

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I like your camo stripped Garand but then I’m prejudiced. I put a Smith Vortex fh on mine. While I’m posting pix, I kinda like the other b/w one too.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2019 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
I like your stock too.  I've come close to buying a few Ruger rifles that were stocked like yours.  The other photo makes me think of a departed friend of mine and some of the stories he told me of the Battle of the Bulge.  He had my Garand for awhile, I'd used it as collateral for a little loan he gave me.  Miss the old coot, he was easier to deal with than banks or pawn shops!

When I took the gas system apart, I noted that I had the gas port nearly shut off, the gas cylinder was too far back!  It's a wonder it ran at all, but it did so very reliably, somehow.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Here’s another Garand photo that I found somewhere and had in my screenshots—and a good looking Jeep-driver?
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2019 at 1:23pm by Baltimoreed »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
I wasn't satisfied with the fit of the front handguard.  I could feel a little wiggle in it and traced it back to the pinned lower band. I have the front handguard solidly attached to the band with screws and epoxy.   I loosened the four set screws in the top of the scope mount, leaving the saddle screws tight and using a punch on the saddle I tapped the handguard/mount forward into more solid contact with the lower band.  Got it all back together now, barrel nicely centered, and got rid of the wiggle.  There's now about 1/16" gap between the front of the receiver ring and the rear of the mount.  Should have tapped that mount forward last time I assembled things!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint