Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Cabela's strikes again (Read 1773 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Cabela's strikes again
Mar 9th, 2019 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I was at Cabela's in Dundee MI today to pick up some powder and saw a very nice 1898 in the 410000 range.  Well... nice until I took a closer look.  The finish was very good and a nice sharp cartouche.  Great bore and sharp rifling too.  That's where the nice ends.  The 1901 rear sight was buggered up.  The knob to tighten the elevation bar was bent over and quite loose... almost to the point I thought it was going to break off.  The windage lever was tightened as if someone had used pliers - so tight that no amount of force from me could loosen it!  Now here's the really bad:  The price was $1399.00. 

I told the guy working in the gun library about the rear sight, and also about the inflated price.  He thanked me for pointing that out and said he was going to alert the manager. 

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Cabela's strikes again
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Some people can find a reasonable price occasionally at Cabela's but I've never seen any in the Library.

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
My experience with Cabela's gun library (Reno NV) has been limited and BAD. Their attitude was "don't bother me with pointing out defects, just stand aside, so the guy behind you can buy it." When they FIRST started out with antiques they knew NOTHING about them, and some bargains, or at least fair deals, could be had. Now, they just overprice everything. As to mundane things, some of their Chinese junk sucks, and their return policy appears to be "tough beans". Don't like 'em at all.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
I agree with you Dick.  In fact, the only reason I grace the place with my presence is to pick up powder or the occasional reloading component that I need.  Normally I venture out to another place that is more mom & pop, but it's a bit of a drive for me, and if I'm pinched for time, it's too far to go.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Yep, going the way of REI Embarrassed

I'd walk into an REI and if I didn't fart granola then they wouldn't even bother with me!

Or maybe it was because I hadn't had a bath in 2 weeks? Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint