Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
100 Dollar Norweagian Krag Carbine "sporter" (Read 2142 times)
Rapidrob
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

100 Dollar Norweagian Krag Carbine "sporter"
Mar 10th, 2019 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
A fellow came to my range yesterday ( NM MILSURPS) long range shooting club, and was selling his Father In Law's gun collection.
All sorts of firearms from the 60's.
Among the rifles was a spoterized Krag Carbine. I really did not want it as it was covered in what I thought was rust.
No one in my club even offered on it. After two hours he was motivated to sell the carbine so he took 100 bucks for it.
I could see the stock had been cut back,and of course for the 60's a "White Line " recoil pad had been added. This had to be done to make it into a hunting rifle back then.I should know,I was there.
I got home and soaked the carbine in Kroil to remove the "rust" from the surface of the metal. I pulled the bolt and the bore was nasty as well. I soaked it in CLP overnight as well.
This morning I wiped the metal down only to find the rust was fossilized RIG Gun Grease. The bore is dark but not pitted and the rifling is rounded but very strong.
I test fired the carbine into my bullet trap and the fired case is perfect.
The Bolt does not match and I'm not sure it is for this carbine or not?
After a little research I think the carbine is a model 1912? I'm no expert by any means.
I member of my club says he has a complete stock for the carbine. He wants three times what I paid for the carbine. Is it worth it to restore it back to original issue type?

IP Logged

Rapidrob
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 100 Dollar Norweagian Krag Carbine "sporter"
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
A couple more photos. I'm not sure why they are so big? The print size is no larger than 12" and low rez.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
I don't believe your Norwegian Krag is a model 1912 Karabin. The rear-sight is in the wrong location.

It appears, to me, the barrel has been shortened and the rifle front-sight was salvaged and dove-tailed into the barrel.

The 'flange' at the front of your receiver and your trigger-guard suggest your new Krag is a 'cut-down' model 1894 Norwegian infantry rifle.
Your bolt-handle is the style found on Norwegian rifles.

The model 1912 Karabin is usually found with a 'flatter' bolt-handle and different style trigger-guard.

Norwegian bolts were serial numbered to match the receiver's number. (For some reason there are now a lot of mismatched bolts & actions).

I suggest you leave the 'sportered' Krag, as is. You can still double your investment.

I am on 'The Road' and unable to check my copy of Brophy's, "The Krag  Rifle".
If another KCA Member could check the Norwegian Chapter in Brophy's book, it is possible to look at the various Norwegian models and confirm the model for: The year 1914 and serial #106028.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Hi Rapidrob,

Your Norwegian Krag cleaned up very nicely... GOOD JOB!

I'm not a Danish or Norwegian Krag expert but the serial number does not seem to match up with listed 1912 carbine serial numbers?

However, it does appear to be listed in the serial numbers for 1894 Norwegian Krag rifles which were produced in 1914!

BTW: What is the barrel length?

As far as restoring, refurbishing, etc... It can certainly be a labor of love which could cost you many dollars.

If indeed you have a 1912...and your friend has a decent 1912 stock with handguard... then IMHO, you you might have a worthwhile project.

If the stock comes with metal hardware... even better!

Just count your cost... little things like screws, pins, etc can certainly add up real quick.

Currently I've seen 1912's go for upwards of $1000...but you be the judge.

If it's a mixed bag of parts... Than I agree with BR and enjoy what you have.

Here's a link to Liberty Tree Collectors Library... a nice resource I like to use because they have lots of nice pics:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2019 at 11:41pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
'Local Boy' - Thanks for confirming OP's year and serial number was a Norwegian model 1894 rifle.

All the clues, that I was seeing, suggested a 'cut-down' infantry rifle.

'Rapidrob' - Norwegian Krag barrels have a Left-Hand thread.

There is no easy path to Norwegian Krag restoration. (But, you got a fun 'shooter' for 100 Bucks)!

IP Logged

Rapidrob
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Thank you for all the info.
The barrel is 24" long.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint