Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Western 30 Ammo (Read 2470 times)
RetiredMil
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Western 30 Ammo
Mar 10th, 2019 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
I took my 1897 Krag to the range for the first time.  I had some old reloads in Western 29 and 30 cases I had purchased at a gun show.  The first round the case separated an 1/8 inch below the neck.  The round hit the target just outside the bull.   Checked the barrel for an obstruction but nothing was there.  Put in a second round and it also separated in the same location but this time it appears part of the case is in the headspace of the chamber and another round will not fit in the chamber. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Western 30 Ammo
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
You'll need to extract that brass.  This is a problem that you can face using brass that is that old.  You'd be much better off purchasing some new brass from Graf & Sons... or purchase Hornady, Remington or Winchester factory ammo, shoot that, and then reload that brass. 

As for how to extract that brass, try getting a wooden dowel rod that is smaller than the barrel... or a cleaning rod, try to catch that brass with the lip, and use a hammer to carefully tap that piece of brass out of the chamber.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Or get a ruptured case extractor.  Handy to have, especially if you're going to shoot the rest!  Good for those of us who reload the same brass many times, sooner or later, it's going to happen!  Sometimes with that old ammo, something that Kerz mentioned not long ago, is that the neck and bullet sorta solder together, producing some very high pressures.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
You were not clear as to whether you were able to get the first separated-neck out of the chamber.

You may have two case-necks stuck in your chamber, one inside the other.

I do not know your level of gun-tinkering skills or the tools that you have.

There is an old tool, a "Broken-Shell Extractor", that is used to remove a separated case. There are other various tricks that work.

DO NO HARM! Do not try prying it out with a screwdriver. Inept attempts will scratch or gouge the chamber!

You just might want to take it to a competent gunsmith.

"Psteinmayer" identified the cause of the problem. Your Brass is old and has become brittle from 'age'.

IP Logged

RetiredMil
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your reply.  This is my first experience with a Krag but I would like to shoot it more.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Shooting Krags is addicting!  The more you shoot em… the more you'll want to!  You'll do fine.  Get some newer ammo/brass and head back out to the range!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint