Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
How does magazine cut off work (Read 1754 times)
Agent68
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

How does magazine cut off work
Mar 25th, 2019 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I have sporterized 1898 that has Are at peep sight mounted on the right side of the receiver where the cut off lever is located (so it isn't there anymore) and the rifle bolt only chambers a single round.  Is it possible to keep the peep sight but change whatever the cut off operates in the receiver to allow the bolt to chamber all the rounds loaded in the magazine?

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: How does magazine cut off work
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Can you easily remove the sight and post some photos? I think most of the no drill sights involved pulling the cutoff lever out. The part of the sight that inserts into the cutoff hole should be relieved so that cartridges should feed from the magazine.
I wonder if that part of the sight was modified on purpose to be a single shot? Maybe local laws required it for deer hunting?

Added thought.
That other rifle was a real eye catcher. I know everyone here would like to see yours if it is similar!
Link:    (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: How does magazine cut off work
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
'Agent68' - Welcome to the KCA Forum!

Your Right or My Left? It's all about orientation.

Actually, the Krag's magazine 'Cut-Off' switch is located on the Left-Side of the receiver. The side that has the U.S. Model 1898/ Springfield Armory/and serial number marking.

The sights that require the removal of the 'Cut-Off' are the Pacific (K1 & K2) and the Redfield (K-102 & K-75). These sights require no new tapped holes, since they use original Krag machined holes and surfaces for mounting. These sights mount on the left-side of the Krag action and use the hole of the removed 'cut-off'.

There are other Krag 'after-market' receiver sights that mounted on the left-side and some on the right-side of the receiver and required new tapped holes. These did not require Cut-Off removal.

The Krag 'cut-off' has a 'flat' area on its shaft. It works by allowing cartridges to feed up to the bolt area from the magazine, when the 'flat' is properly oriented in the receiver side-wall. When the round part of the shaft is exposed, it blocks cartridges from feeding.

If you are loading several cartridges into your magazine and the bolt picks up and feeds the first cartridge, the feed-path is clear. The problem likely has nothing to do with the Magazine Cut-Off or its absence.

If the above is the situation, then the failure is likely a problem with the follower/follower-arm assembly. This could be caused by dried grease and crud, a damaged side-plate, wrong model parts, or a broken or weakened (magazine-door/follower-arm) spring.

Detailed (clear-closeup) photos of your Krag's action could allow better diagnosis.

Taking off your Krag's left side-plate allows examination and testing of feed system components. (This normally requires the barreled-action to be removed from the stock).

Attached photo shows 'flat' tip of model 1898 Cut-Off shaft in the cartridge 'feed' position.
If the Cut-Off Lever was turned 'down', a round portion of the shaft becomes visible, blocking cartridge feed.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2019 at 8:21pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint