Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 1899 Carbine parts (Read 5187 times)
kolhoznik
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1899 Carbine parts
Mar 29th, 2019 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
I am looking to rebuild my 1899 Krag that needs a rear sight, magazine cutoff, safety catch and upper forearm. My most difficult is the rear sight.  Which models would be appropriate? Will these parts get me there?  Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1899 Carbine parts
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
The link to the S&S item did not work. (S&S is a good source for some original and repo Krag items, especially screws and sight parts).

The magazine cut-off from Grandpa's Gunparts is correct. These do show up on ebay and at gun shows and go for about $25. You want the short shaft cut-off for the model 1898/1899 Krag and one that matches the patina of your Krag. (This is a good vendor. You might call and talk to him about your needs).

It appears Schwartz 'retired' for health reasons and does not make hand-guards anymore.
You will probably have to search for an original hand-guard.
Hand-guards are specific to Krag rear sights. A good photo of the various Krag hand-guards can be found on the KCA Website (under 'photos').

Original Krag carbine rear-sights are hard to find and are expensive. You probably want to find a sight before investing in a hand-guard, so you know which hand-guard to get.

The 1901 carbine rear-sight and 1902 carbine rear-sight (5,000) were the ones most used on the model 1899 carbine.

Many of us have used a much cheaper rifle sight as a stopgap. A 1901 rifle sight can be gotten for around $70. Initially, the model 1899 carbine used the same hand-guard as the rifle, with the carbine version of the 1901 sight.

You might contact one of the vendors in the KCA 'classifieds' and see if they have a carbine sight for sale. Also ask about a 'Safety-Lever' (these are also getting hard to find loose and go for about $40-$50).

'Kolhoznik', welcome to the KCA Forum. Some good clear pictures of your 1899 carbine would probably beget more suggestions and advice.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Mar 29th, 2019 at 7:39pm:
The link to the S&S item did not work.

Try this link - (You need to Login to view media files and links)

(Previous link has a couple hidden characters that cause a problem.)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks 'parashooter'!

The S&S product 'K513' is the wrong safety lever for model 1896 and model 1898/1899 Krags.

It is one of the Levers for the model 1892 Krag. These are retained by a cross-pin and will not work with later type bolt-sleeves.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2019 at 2:09pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

kolhoznik
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
So which sight would have the flat upper handguard and which would have the "hump"? Could an 1898 Carbine sight work?

Also I tried uploading pictures but the forum said they were too large.  If anyone could help I could email them.

Here is a link to an ended auction of the carbine.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Model 1899 carbine, number 229043, was likely built, around September or October, 1899, at the beginning of model 1899 production.

It probably had a model 1896 carbine sight installed, when first completed, with an 1896 'rifle-type' hand-guard.

The 1898 carbine rear-sight was short lived and they are rare. I believe Grandpa's Gunparts is displaying a model 1898 Rifle sight with the corners altered. This rifle sight appears put together from parts and is not correct for a model 1899 carbine. There are cheaper temporary options - 1901 and 1902 rifle sights, (not correct but useful and relatively inexpensive).

The model 1899 carbine hand-guards with sight protecting lobes came later, when it became apparent sights were being damaged in saddle-scabbards. (Around 1902, IIRC).
Earlier, rifles and 1899 carbines were sharing the same hand-guards.

I don't know if you are selling the carbine on GB or bought it?
(FWIW - The front-sight blade in the original base is a commercial blade).
If you are selling it, I would recommend selling it like it is.
If you bought it, it will cost about $500 to patiently get correct parts. (It will still be a 'parts gun', worth about $900).

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
That is the same carbine recently posted for sale here but with no pictures.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 3:49am
Print Post  
Thanks Ned, it sounds like 'kolhoznik' is a gun speculator and not a Krag hobbyist.

I regret trying to help him in good faith.

Maybe he should invest in some books and a gray blanket.  Undecided

IP Logged

kolhoznik
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Ned Butts: what you wrote is not true.  I sent you an email with 4 pictures to post on February 22nd along with a description.  You did not post the pictures.  I would be happy to resend that email to you to refresh your memory.

Secondly, butlersrangers for the life of me I cannot understand what is wrong with selling a rifle in a "Rifle for Sale" section.  And how the heck can you judge who I am or what I collect?  You can't! 

I am a collector who is not blessed with unlimited means who has to sell a rifle to get another and who wants to do it right!  Now where I come from if you want to go do something right, you ask people. Is there an unwritten rule about selling rifles? I love Krag and have two others in my collection now. And 1896 and an 1898 long rifle.  Now if that meets your standard I would still appreciate the help.

IP Logged

kolhoznik
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 6:24am
Print Post  
I posted the link to the old auction because that was the easiest way of getting pictures that Butler's rangers suggested that I post.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
IMHO:

Many of us are on a very limited 'gun' budget, (either by choice or circumstance). Buying a Krag is a big investment. We invest money in books and time in research.

We enjoy restoring Krags that have been 'abused' to return them to a 'correct' and serviceable state.

We are students of historical arms and always open to educating ourselves and learning more.
It is a kind of responsibility to put forth an effort, to learn, and be intellectually honest and truthful.

I am happy to share information, knowledge, suggestions, and opinions with people who are new to Krag rifles & carbines and intend to use and enjoy their Krag or acquire a 'rescue' gun for restoration. I learn from others and their posts all the time and I am grateful. I learn a lot by trying to help others with their questions.

Many of our posts and photographs are a form of 'Intellectual Property',
which we choose to share with fellow collectors and enthusiasts.

Sometimes we just have to do our own homework.

I can't help but resent it, when I feel my time and effort have been used as a 'public convenience'.

FWIW - I see nothing wrong with making a profit on the sale of a gun and using it as a way to 'upgrade' one's collection.

It's all about attitude. Don't expect others to do all your research, (for free), so you can make more money on a quick 'gun flip'.

p.s. - I did put forth a good effort and reasonably addressed all of the OP's questions in my responses. (I'm done with this thread).
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2019 at 3:01pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
I get a little amused at these kinds of posts where a new Krag owner seeks information from some of the most knowledgable and nicest Krag collectors anywhere. And the information shared has always been free for the asking. I came here a few years ago for that reason and have stayed and learned a ton about Krags and how to communicate on a blog sight with other collectors. There is a certain courtesy and respect that is specific to these kinds of blogs, which I was never familiar with until now.

As a newer Krag collector, I bought reference books and studied and read and searched the internet for as much info as I could find, often reading stuff for months before venturing out on my own to actually ask questions and risk making a fool of myself.

I also spent months, literally, going back and reading all of the historical posts saved on this KCA site. Fascinating reading and I had many chuckles at many of the bantering posts between older established members and newbies coming here asking stupid questions like they were experts. Even funnier is reading posts from newbies who had the audacity to disagree and quibble with many of the long-established experts who have collected and made many mistakes themselves over the years before learning right and wrong. A carbine is a carbine and a rifle is a rifle. Learn the difference and how scammers try to convince you otherwise. A carbine or rifle is original from the factory only once. Anything done after the factory build is not.

I would suggest the OP take a breather and go back to the books recommended and read older posts here at KCA and look at the TONS of pictures in these old posts and learn what we all are talking about. I have a bunch Of Krags and have disassembled, cleaned, fixed, reloaded for and shot for years. But, I still need to come to this blog and ask questions when I am stumped.

Have a great time studying and laugh a little more. Time's a-ticking down and you ain't getting any younger. Shoot 'em up!

IP Logged

kolhoznik
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
I disagree with what was said. I will try to get help elsewhere.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
kolhoznik wrote on Mar 30th, 2019 at 5:53am:
Ned Butts: what you wrote is not true.  I sent you an email with 4 pictures to post on February 22nd along with a description.  You did not post the pictures.  I would be happy to resend that email to you to refresh your memory.

Well that was just an observation on my part that the carbine was in the classified section. I guess I should have been more clear. I don't know where the pictures went but that was not the point.
A little clarity in the early posts about whether you were rebuilding to sell or keep or which ever came soonest might have helped.
Just time to move on

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Not that I want to poke the bear, or start anything... but I take offense when some really fine people try to help and offer honest advice, only to receive a response like "I disagree with what was said. I will try to get help elsewhere."  You're never going to find a better bunch of people with more knowledge about Krags than you'll find here at the KCA!  Sometimes, while it may not be the advice you're looking for, you just need to listen to what's being said!

This is just my opinion... Nuff said.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint