Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
My story to my Krag... (Read 1612 times)
Roamin_Wade
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

My story to my Krag...
Mar 30th, 2019 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
My best friend and I talked about getting way more involved with firearms shortly before he died in a single car crash over in Louisiana a few weeks later. We had been best friends for the better part of two decades. We had roommated with each other, went through an intensive 15 month trade school to become aircraft mechanics which we both finished and excelled at, etc.. I had no doubt that we would have gotten into them and would probably have a business doing that by now. He died in April of ‘07.
I shut down for a year. NOTHING interested me. I started to notice that when I picked up a book about firearms it would immediately take my mind off of anything that was stressing me out. It was like a gift that my friend had somehow gotten a message through to me. At least that’s how I took it.
I poured myself into reading, watching, talking, and anything else about firearms. I learned about this thing called a Krag rifle.
A few months later a guy at the Lodge I belong to broke down a false wall he had built in the 50’s that beheld about 75 guns of all sorts.
I bought 8 from him and one was a Krag. He showed it to me and bet that I didn’t know what it was but I came right back with “THATS A KRAG JORGENSON!” It had already been sporterized but seemed to work flawlessly. It’s an 1898 built in 1900. The stock had gotten close to heat because the finish had bubbled up a bit. I proceeded to refinish the stock and I uncovered the cartouche and carefully saved it. I finally had it reblued a few months back and now I’m about to scope it. The gun works well but I don’t know how well it will group. To shoot a rifle that’s 119 years old precisely is going to be really cool and I know as long as I’m dealing with firearms I will never succumb to the stresses of this world that can be many. Just like when we used to hang out. Nothing could get to me. I do miss my friend, named Darrel, but I’ll see him again someday... Thanks for reading...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My story to my Krag...
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Wade, welcome to the KCA Forum. I'm sorry about the loss of your good friend, Darrel.

It's neat your shared interest in firearms helped to pull you through a very tough time.

Keep us posted on your progress with your Krag.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2019 at 12:15pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My story to my Krag...
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Wade-

We all find God in different places in our life. There is no doubt that Darrel has occupied a special place in your life and will do so for many years to come. Let your revelations about the Krag rifle coming into your life lift the clouds of sorrow, loss and confusion and move forward as if Darrel was still here.

And keep studying and learning about Krags. The KCA can be your best friend in this pursuit. You'll be searching out and collecting more in no time. Collecting and shooting Krags is a life long love.

Good luck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint