Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
30-40 projectile choices... (Read 2879 times)
Roamin_Wade
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

30-40 projectile choices...
Apr 1st, 2019 at 2:45am
Print Post  
I’m already getting really good feedback from you folks in here. Thanks for that. This post is about the lack of choices at the store and the plethora of .30 cal projectiles on the reloading isle. I see only 180 gr for sale in stores but I would imagine some could be found with 220 gr flyers. I’m interested in using 140-160 gr bullets. I don’t know where I read it but the article said something about the distance from the end of the shell to the rifling is a longer distance than most modern 30 cal rifles, and that this is due to the longer 220 gr flyers that were originally made to shoot in Krag rifles. It went on to say that the ~150 gr bullets have to jump further to reach the threads and so they aren’t as accurate out of Krag rifles as they are out of modern 30 cal rifles. Is any of this true? Couldn’t this problem, if this a problem, be mitigated by crimping the projectile further out of the shell from where it would typically be crimped? I’ve never reloaded a single bullet in my life so excuse me if I can’t talk very intelligently about this matter.

Also, I’m having trouble even finding a ballistic chart for any other weight than the 180 and 220 gr bullets. Can someone point me into the right direction? Thanks again...

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 30-40 projectile choices...
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Here is Hodgdon's website I refer to a lot. Select 30-40 Krag for the cartridge and you're on your way.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Have you checked out Black Hills for loaded ammo?

You should get a few reloading books and study up on reloading if you are going to try that. Wouldn't hurt to talk to some buddies that are competent/safe reloaders. Reloading books are available from the following:
    Lee
    Hornady
    Speer
    Sierra
    and many more

Be safe.

IP Logged

Playapat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Wade, Hornady and Sierra manuals, among others, have loads for various bullet weights. I’ve fired 180s and 167s (so far) out of my 1898.

My gun turned out to be a great shooter. It likes all 3 big name commercial loads (Hornady, Winchester & Remington) as well as my handloads using a Hornady 180 gr. Spitzer. It doesn’t seem to care for round nose slugs as much.

As far as I know, the 180s ate the only commercial loads available. As Ithink you know, the original load for the Krag was 220 gr. RN that was rather long. Those (jacketed) bullets are difficult to find now, although casting your own would be an option.

Everyone here has different stories as to what their gun prefers. Try a few different things in your gun to see what she likes. That’s half the fun!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
The Hornady 10th Edition is my current bible... but any good manual will do.  I actually do comparisons from several manuals.  Hornady lists several weights, and usually lists their bullets... but the data for their 180 gr SP Spitzer bullet can be applied to any 180 gr spitzer... etc. 

The bottom line is to find what works best in your Krag.  Remember, just like people... not all Krags like the same food!

IP Logged

Playapat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 2:45am
Print Post  
I concur with Paul on all counts. The Hornady manual is good, and it's usually on the conservative side when compared to other manuals.

With my gun, I'm finding it likes 180 gr. Spitzers and 150 gr. Round Nose. But the 180 gr. RN, not so much.

....Mine likes spaghetti, yours might like hot dogs!

Reading all the old threads in the ammo section here was a real education for me. I picked up a lot of tips on possible loads, techniques, etc.

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
My Krag shoots 180, and 220 grain bullets very well, these are the only bullets I have tried, both round nose. I intend to try Hornady ELD match bullets (great B.C.), even if I have to shoot them single fire. These bullets give me nearly half minute results in a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. I will also try them in .308. 30-06, and .223. The 6.5x55 ELD'S have a B.C. of 650.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint