Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Which brand of brass? (Read 2593 times)
King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Which brand of brass?
Apr 1st, 2019 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Hello: I am new to the KGA. I hope I do this correctly. I am going to start reloading for my krag rifle. Is one brand of brass better than the other?  I am going to purchase new brass. Any recommendations on which brand is best? I will be using g cast bullets if that makes a difference.
           Thanks in advance, KC

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Which brand of brass?
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
If you are new to shooting the Krag, any kind of Krag brass will work as long as it is in good condition without any splits or cracks from over loading or aging. Sometimes people shoot and try to reload 100 year old brass which is not a good idea.

Make sure your Krag barrel is clean and your bolt works well. The cast bullets are great to reload with. many people here reload regularly with cast. Read through some of the previous posts to find a variety of load information.

As you get more refined and experienced with Krags, you might find which brass and bullet and powder combination works best with your set-up. Every rifle is slightly different and can do better with one load over another.

I use all mixed headstamped brass when I reload. If you are shooting for competition accuracy, you might do best to separate headstamps and keep clean that way to avoid variations in brass size and weights. I have mostly Remington brass that I reload but I've got a variety of all of them like others here.

Since you didn't give more info, this is just some basic stuff. If you have more specific questions, ask away. We all have different experiences with reloading for and shooting our Krags.

Also, please post pictures so we can enjoy your Krag(s) as much as you do!

Thanks and good luck.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Hello: Thanks for the info. I will try new brass at the best price I can find. I just traded for this rifle. It is my first krag. Which forum topic should I post pictures of my find?
           Thanks again, KC

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
If it's a non-military condition sporterized Krag, there is a category for that. If it is relatively correct and not significantly altered from original configuration, post it in the U.S. Military Krag category.

If you're not sure, put it in the military one and we won't quibble. We'll help answer any questions you have and hopefully get you on a path to getting the most enjoyment out of your firearm as possible!

Welcome aboard matey!

IP Logged

Playapat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Welcome, King Carp! The best deal on new brass seems to be Captech brass from Graf's. It's about $29/51 pieces (it says 50, but they're sneaking an extra one in). Next best deal is a sale on Hornady from Midway for about $35/50 (on sale from $42).

I've bought quite a bit of the Captech (headstamp is "BCC"), and it works well. That brass is a little shorter and a little heavier than the other brands.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 1:47am
Print Post  
Thanks for everyone's input. I look forward to developing loads and tuning in my new piece of history. I hand load for a 1903 A3 Springfield so have some knowledge in this area. I really like the looks of the krag. The action is smoother than most commercial bolt action rifles I have handled. 
     Thanks again, KC

IP Logged

Playapat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 2:37am
Print Post  
They're great rifles, and there are a lot of options on loads for them. Mine seems to like 180 gr. Spitzers as well as 150 gr. Round Nose. There are lots of powder options too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint