Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 30-40 Krag Reloading Dies (Read 9973 times)
Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: 30-40 Krag Reloading Dies
Reply #15 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Is your crimp a hair below the canneleur?  Good looking ammo nonetheless. 

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
It’s actually right on it. It’s pretty wide if you look at the bullet itself. This was my very first attempt at reloading, hence the reason for delay. I’m pretty happy with the results overall. If my brass holds out for 4-5 reloads, I calculate I’m saving about $1/round vs what I can buy it at. If that’s the case, the investment will have a HUGE payback. Especially if I start adding other (expensive) rounds.

Mike

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
We always say that reloading doesn't really save you any money because you wind up shooting much more altogether. But, you're having a ton more fun and that's well worth all the trouble.

I love spending time reloading and working every detail of the case and powder and bullet. Sure have learned a lot along the way and I get much better ammo than any factory stuff.

You'll see after you go through a few more rounds of reloading! Have fun!

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Is there any concern about the missing "bevel" on Hornady brass that you fellas discovered in the "1898 Feed Issue" discussion?

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
My Hornady brass came with a bevel. I haven’t seen any rim lock issues yet, but will certainly keep you all informed if I do.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #20 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
There is no way to get rim lock in a Krag.  Except maybe trying to load in an un-natural way.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2019 at 6:45pm by Culpeper »  

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Clcustom1911
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 2:14am
Print Post  
Beautiful ammo!! Now show us those groups and sounds of ringing steel!

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Finally had a chance to go to the range and try out my first hand loads. This was 10 rounds at 50 yards with 40 gr of H4350 and a 220 round nose using Hornady brass. I started at 50 yards not knowing how she’d shoot. Wasn't able to easily throw a target out to 100 yards today as there were quite a few people on the range. I was able to hit steel targets out at 100.

I may try going up and down .2 gr to see if the grouping tightens up at all. I may also try some 175 gr bullets. I guess now the real fun begins...
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2019 at 11:40pm by Mike4MSU »  

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #23 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Mike4MSU wrote on Jul 16th, 2019 at 8:11pm:
. . . This was 10 rounds at 50 yards with 40 gr of H4895 and a 220 round nose using Hornady brass. . .

Since your earlier post on this topic cited "40gr of H4350 with 220 RN" as your load, I'm hoping "H4895" is a typing or memory error, as that could be a fairly stiff overload.

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
That would be a problem. Yes, I used H4350 and not H4895. Perfect example of why I always triple check the recipe and never rely on memory. I think I may have said H4895 because a good friend and reloader shared one of his recipes for Krag and it used 175 gr BTHP and H4895.

I’ve corrected the original post to prevent confusion or potential overcharged recipe
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2019 at 11:44pm by Mike4MSU »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Mike4MSYU - It would be "OK" and a good idea to correct the error in the post detailing your load data.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #26 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Perfect example of why we never accept internet amateur load data without checking reliable sources like manuals and manufacturer websites.

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Thank you Parashooter for bringing the error to my attention. It is now clear to me how an honest mistake could have caused a catastrophic result had the members of this forum not been so diligent.

On a lighter note, I wanted to share and post my results to hopefully learn from the group and improve my results over time.  I felt my 1899 Carbine and first attempt at reloading performed pretty well overall. I hope to play around a little with minor changes in charge (within max load limits) and in bullet weights to see if I can improve my initial results. Thanks to all for patience and forgiveness in my mistake.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 4:27am
Print Post  
'Mike4MSU' - That is a nice outing for your Krag carbine and reloaded ammo! I bet you had fun!

IMHO - You should stick with this load for a few more Range sessions and judge the consistency of performance (and also try targets at 100 yards), before tweaking things.

You have laid down a good baseline!

'Parashooter' - thanks for spotting the propellant error.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
olderthansome wrote on Jun 29th, 2019 at 1:41pm:
Is there any concern about the missing "bevel" on Hornady brass that you fellas discovered in the "1898 Feed Issue" discussion?

In a recent thread one new to the forum was having feed issues in a rifle that was to be used in competition. For him adding the bevel fixed the problem. In my 35/40 with shorter than standard rounds I could only get rim lock with the muzzle aimed down, cases loaded with rims the wrong way and snapping the door closed. My cases are beveled Remington. I have not tried the Grafs case yet but the do have a smaller bevel.
On mine with the rifle level or pointed up no rim lock. Others have had the problem and solved it by replacing springs and pushers. A lot of these parts have been modified by various bubbas, so rim locks are not impossible. SA did a lot of work to make the Krag mostly trouble free, little mismatches in tolerances and or worn or modified parts can ruin the magic. Some time back we saw a Krag action and barrel with cut outs for observing the internal movements, with a high speed camera and that demo piece it would be possible to understand what goes on in there when the door is closed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint