Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
 25 My first krag rifle (Read 8334 times)
King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My first krag rifle
Reply #30 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Hello: thanks! Yes I take my dad who is 97 carping when the weather is nice.  Its catch and release or catch and fertilize! We go for pan fish but put out a rod for carp for the great fight they put up.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #31 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
olderthansome wrote on Apr 4th, 2019 at 4:36am:
I don't have access to the SRS information to perhaps offer more details, but your serial number 143581 is listed in Mallory's as being issued to Co. G , 2nd USV Engr.  There are quite a few others listed to several other Companies in that Regiment.  Many can be found in the 143,000 range, but there are but there are many others in the ranges between 142000 and at least the 146000.  I found only 2 numbers (145168 and 145169) that had consecutive numbers.  There may be others, but having so many issued to more than one Company, would seem to indicate an early issue on a unit basis rather than simply replacements. I expect that we will find more information about this unit's history.  It's always fun to see some history unfold about pieces we own, so stay tuned boys and girls.

Bingo!  Any time you get a hit with info about a Krag, it's like hitting a jackpot!  Well done!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #32 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
By the way...  I know you said you're not ready to shoot in competition yet (although all it takes is a desire to shoot), but if you decided to join us at Camp Perry in the future, just let me know, and I'll walk you through what you need to know to get started.  Shooting a Krag in the Roosevelt Match is very satisfying... even if you're not that good (like me).  There is a group of us from the forum that shoot in the Roosevelt together, and I host a dinner the night before too.  I'm not sure where you live, but if you're withing driving distance of northern Ohio, you're good.

This goes for everyone here on the forum too!!!  All are welcome with me...

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #33 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Father still catching the big ones!!!

Nice fish and sounds like fun King Carp!

Used to catch bunches of carp down Texas way... Beautiful fish which produced wonderful filets...and that's about where the goodness ended.

Fellow used to take the carp off our hands...he said they made good cat fish patties...I believe he owned a local eating establishment. Cheesy

Paul I just might accept the invite and treat myself to a 60th birthday present next year and head to Camp Perry!

Cheers

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #34 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the invite to camp Perry. It sounds like a great time.  I take care of dad and have to stay close to home. Maybe someday I will be able to make the trip. In the meen time I better find out how the krag shoots before I too excited.
      Thanks again everyone

IP Logged

cquickel
KCA Forum Member

Krag Lover

Reply #35 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
You mind if I add your rifle to the KCA serial number database?

Curt Quickel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint