Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Springfield Armory Article - 1900 (Read 6698 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Springfield Armory Article - 1900
Reply #15 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Some gems from the 1900 "American Machinist" articles that 'Knute' found:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Insights on 'timing' of barrel threads and sight mounting; (barrels were made at the Water Shops):
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2019 at 2:49pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Looks like you have been working hard, BR. Thanks for the help getting the news out.
And how about those junky captured Mausers. Surprised they found anybody to buy all those things. Heck, they didn't have a magazine cut-off and they could be loaded lickity-split to where a person could shoot them off too fast. What a waste. You couldn't even top them off after shooting a few rounds. Well, I suppose there were some that could be turned into hunting rifles.  Huh Or just hang on to them as war relics. They sure weren't as perty as our Krags (or as finely made).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
'Knute' - The truth be told, the German made Spanish Model 1893 rifles were gorgeous, when they left Berlin.

The magazine could be 'topped-up' with loose cartridges. You just had to have the bolt open to do so.

The Mauser fed by stripping cartridges from the magazine. Without a magazine cut-off, it could not meet the criteria of functioning as a single-shot, with magazine contents held in reserve. (The 1903 Springfield cleverly solved this situation).

By your tone, I think you fully understand the mental set of the 'decision makers', rather naïve with our hindsight.

Some pictures of my Oviedo Arsenal rebuilt model 1893 Mauser; it does shoot well. (I'd sure like to have a good example of a 'war capture' sold from Springfield Armory).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
From the "American Machinist" material, 'Knute' located, photographs of Krag stock making machinery.

I believe the L to R order demonstrates: outside shaping, cutting of barrel-channel, and machining of magazine-cut.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I was playing the devil's advocate from a period standpoint, and like you said the mindset of anti-Mauser, our's is better. Until the Mauser design was realized in the US and then copied for the 1903 Springfield. Went full circle as we know. I have a 98 Mauser receiver in a 35 Whelen custom and know of its virtues.

I wonder where all of the machinery went. Some stay at the Armory? Junk heap? Some other company or individuals get them?

I am not a machinist, but part of my job is overseeing a machine shop for a tire plant. We have a Bullard turn table from WWI era all the way up to CNC machines. It is interesting to see that the tooling has not changed much, just the machinery that applies them.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Here's a couple of pages from my Bannerman reproduction catalogue dated May 1910.

Sorry but the repro catalogue page copies are not the greatest.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Here is a website with a lot pictures related to a captured Spanish Mauser. I think that C1936 is a serial number?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2019 at 12:45am by Knute1 »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 2:04am
Print Post  
That is a nice Loewe made model 1893 Spanish Mauser. It is unlikely a SAW "captured" Mauser.

One of the photos shows the rifle's rear-sight slide. It is a slide developed by Oviedo Arsenal, in a later time period. These slides replaced the original German design that was in use during the SAW period.

This retrofit work was done in Spain.

The presence of the Oviedo sight-slide makes it very likely, even if rifle #C1936 was used during the SAW, it went back to Spain and was not a "captured" rifle.

(BTW - My Loewe model 1893 Spanish Mauser came with an Oviedo sight-slide. The Oviedo designed slide was numbered to match the last three digits of my Loewe rifle's serial number).
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2019 at 2:04pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Looks like I chased the rabbit down the wrong hole. But if you like old guns, click on the parent directory in the last link and you will find a lot of guns take with high quality photos, even an 1896 Krag.

Try this link:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2019 at 2:33am by Knute1 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint