Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
President McKinley's Funeral Cortege - Footage (Read 2312 times)
Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

President McKinley's Funeral Cortege - Footage
Apr 7th, 2019 at 3:09am
Print Post  
I posted before about my Great Grandfather who was in the Philippine Resurrection, Boxer Rebellion and part of President McKinley's funeral cortege in Buffalo, NY. But I don't believe that I posted the actual Thomas Edison film of the funeral cortege. The Buffalo police department leads then followed by Company I and F of the 14th Regiment. A Navy contingency follows and then some carriages, then finally the horse drawn hearse. My Great Grandfather would have been with Company I at that time, but I can't see faces in the film. Nobody in our family knew about this film, and maybe my Great Grandfather didn't pay much attention to the guy cranking on the camera as he passed by. Somehow I found it a couple years ago. He was carrying the U.S. Magazine Rifle, Model 1898 with the rest of his brothers in arms.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2019 at 12:10pm by Knute1 »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: President McKinley's Funeral Cortege - Footage
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Fascinating footage. Love these old, old films. Thanks for sharing and too bad you . can't see the faces to try to find your Great Grandfather, That would certainly be priceless!

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I've probably brought my Great Grandfather up too much on this forum, but I have studied his life quite a bit and it has enhanced my zeal for the Krag. My Mother was only six when he died, but her older brother has talked to me about what he knew. He was surprised about this film when I found it as he never heard family talk about it. All I can surmise is that the battles he fought in Yang Tsun and Peking, China overshadowed this event in discussions he had with others.
I had another post last year about his 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Krag for deer hunting (my brother has it now). He must have been a believer of the cartridge's abilities.

Here is the website with footage that I originally found. The text talks about Company I. I was incredulous when I first came across it.

Here are soldiers guarding President McKinley's casket with Krag rifles, bayonets attached.

IP Logged

Playapat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Terrific old video. What interested me after watching for a minute was to realize that the video frame rate is apparently correct; the video doesn’t look sped up like most video (film) that was recorded prior to the 20s. It adds an interesting and poignant touch to things.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint