Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Another put together rifle (Read 4620 times)
Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Another put together rifle
Apr 7th, 2019 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I pieced this rifle together about a year ago and had it out today with warmer temps. Someone in the past had drilled and tapped the receiver but had actually done a good job of it.
Not being able to stomach the holes I sourced a one piece mount and an older weaver, spliced a new tip to a cut down stock, scraped it and fit a ducks head for a little extra purchase to the bottom of the wrist. I picked the barrel up on the net and put it all together for a retro hunting rifle as sorts. The barrel in the pictures below is not the one married to this rifle. It is just an example of another and how I blue/brown them in my garage.
Rifle shoots good with the exception of the low stock comb and actually did better with the rear ladder. The scope however will be a better option when the sun starts to get low and it will come off easily and is relatively repeatable.
It would be nice to find a Buehler safety to get a full purchase in that regard, I just cannot bring myself to grind the one that's on there unless I find a spare and do some mods myself. I'm using 4064 and a 180 soft point spitzer for a tad better than minute of deer accuracy, scope and truck is to high I think.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Another put together rifle
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
My first Krag was a sporter and I enjoy it greatly. Yours is a lot better looking. I'm not that familiar with a ducks head, but I can see the advantage of being able to pull the gun into your shoulder better. Looks like a fine hunting gun that will draw attention from those you may run in to. (The younger cattle in the background seem curious.) Do you intend on hunting with it?

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
I had it out last fall but didn't shoot any with it yet. (deer)The little lump of wood on the wrist just helps to keep it from rolling left or right and gives a little extra purchase.

It's odd looking but works, and was easier do than checkering at the moment. At least I thought so at the time but not that much because of the extra fitting.

If I wasn't in such a hurry I was going to fashion something from a piece of pipe, similar to a trap door, just to see if I could do it. I just called it a ducks head because it reminded me of decoy carving.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Nice Job!

Just wondering... What bluing chemicals do you use???

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Mark Lee Express blue/brown
Polish bright then cook everything in boiling water with lye, don't touch with bare hands, remove from hot water and use a clothes pin dipped in the solution. Swab, It will dry as it evaporates, you should see some rust like reaction, dunk in rolling boil and repeat, then in hot clean water.

When your done, neutralize with cool clear water and baking soda mixed in with it. It looks like iodine or or beta-dyne. I just pour boiling water in a pvc tube for the barrel. I  do the small parts in the house when nobody is around but don't get it on the countertop.
It will wipe up but you have to be quick. Rolling boil is the key and good polish. Its easy to do and looks pretty decent. Pretty durable too. It will not do hi-force 44 to well so you have to sweat/ solder to a very clean line.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Thanks for the bluing info.

Here's an eBay listing for a "Buehler Low Scope Safety for 30-40 Krag":

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Doco, what is the story on the chamber side of the barrel? Was it that way when you acquired the barrel? We have had discussions about Krag barrels being at least somewhat interchangeable and the sights and extractor cuts lining up when changed. The punch marks appear to be an attempt to tighten up a barrel that was not quite tight enough.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
'FredC' - Interesting idea on the unofficial 'breech punch marks'.

In regard to Krag barrel interchangeability, I think these "American Machinist" (circa 1900) paragraphs, on barrel threading, are most relevant.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
We were pretty sure that the Krags were done this way from past discussions. I wonder how long it took them to get that perfected? It would be interesting to what year marked their success, and what percentage had to be fudged by over tightening or dimpling. Also was Doco's example done at the arsenal or was that a repair for one that worked loose or did not "feel" right after a rebuild.
I may post the question over at PM and see if any rifle in recent history is clocked like the Krags. BR, any objection to me copying and pasting your AM info over there?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
'FredC' - Feel free to use the page & paragraphs that I marked. (BTW
- What is "PM")?

Credit should go to 'Knute1' for finding the "American Machinist" articles from 1900, and posting the link on the KCA Forum.

p.s. - There was a difference at the breech-end of most model 1898/1899 barrels compared to earlier Krag barrels.

(According to Franklin Mallory, "KRS", page 87: "In July, 1899, the diameter of the chamber at the neck was increased 0.005", and the end of the barrel and its seat in the receiver were rounded").

I imagine these later 1898 barrels will fit earlier Krags.

Earlier barrels would probably require 'rounding' at the edge of the barrel threads to seat properly on later 1898/1899 actions. (1899 Changes to Krag barrel & receiver came at approximately #213000).

Note - I have never removed or replaced a Krag barrel from a receiver. My perception is based on hearsay, (what I have read).
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2019 at 10:25pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
FredC wrote on Apr 9th, 2019 at 1:19pm:
Doco, what is the story on the chamber side of the barrel? Was it that way when you acquired the barrel? We have had discussions about Krag barrels being at least somewhat interchangeable and the sights and extractor cuts lining up when changed. The punch marks appear to be an attempt to tighten up a barrel that was not quite tight enough.

The punch marks were there when the the barrel came through. I think they were done to increase draw at some point. The barrel would thread hand tight to about .085 and then smoothly turned right to the index marks. I would estimate about 35-45 ft lbs of hand torque to get them to meet. I'm not going to say you wouldn't have to look but the barrel stopped dead in its tracks and you could tell it would have been a little more of an effort to over-draw. The chamber was free of pits and the lands and grooves are defined relatively bright but a little worn in the leade. That concerned me a little bit but it shoots just fine with a little more than a starting load of 4064 and a flat base bullet.

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Local Boy wrote on Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:27am:
Thanks for the bluing info.

Here's an eBay listing for a "Buehler Low Scope Safety for 30-40 Krag":

I'm going to try for it, Thanks-Brian

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint