Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Local Vintage Rifle Match (Read 3905 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Local Vintage Rifle Match
Apr 10th, 2019 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I was finally able to make one of our local rifle club's vintage rifle match and shot one of my M1898 Krag rifles. It was a great day to be on the range with a variety of other vintage military rifles including a Springfield 1903A3, Mosin Nagants, Mausers, Garands and M1 Carbines. I was the only one to shoot a rifle that was almost exactly twice my age!

We just shot 100 yard targets at this match and most of us used as issued open sights. One older shooter used a Mosin sniper rifle with the period scope.

I have been practicing at 100 and 150 yards with this Krag and have gotten my load figured out pretty good.

I wound up with the high score for all open sight shooters of 189 out of 200 with 4 bullseyes! I am amazed at the accuracy of these beautiful shooters as were others at the range. I gladly shared the shooting of the Krag with others who hadn't ever seen one before. I'm sure some will be wanting to get one themselves after seeing the results.

I'm working on being able to reliably set my 1902 sight on this rifle for 200 yard shooting. It is so sensitive to slight variations that it's hard to get it back to the exact spot I need for the 200 yard targets. But, I've gotten it figured out pretty good and am practicing sighting at those far away targets. You definitely need good eyes to sight in past a certain point. I probably should get larger targets!

I hope others have been getting out with nicer weather for most of us this spring. Love the Krag!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Local Vintage Rifle Match
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Well Done!!!  Now, get 'er sighted in at 200 yards, and prepare for Camp Perry!  Hope to see you at the Roosevelt Match, and at dinner the night before.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I may try to fit that into my schedule in the next few years but I don't think I can soon. It sounds like fun and I'd love to hang out with other Krag lovers. I live in Marietta, Ohio and we have a daughter in Mayfield Heights outside of Cleveland, so, I'm not far away. Too much going on now, though.

In the meantime, I'll be working on 200. How small of a group are you able to get repeatedly at 200 yards? I know the 100 and 150 yards I am darn close to 1 MOA. Sounds amazing with these 100+ year old rifles. But, it does happen.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Mine groups under 2 at 200... and that's ok with me.  I think most of my accuracy issues are me... and not my Krag!  I would never dream of altering or re barreling it given it's history.  I may take one of my sporters and rebuild it to original for matches eventually, or simply buy another Krag for Matches when I win the lottery.  I'd like to retire my sole As Issued Krag! 

I have a friend who routinely WINS matches with his 1896.  He shoots under 1 and can put all ten in the ten ring, with several on the peg from Prone.  He can put most in the ten ring from standing!!!  I've witnessed him shooting a 294 at Kalamazoo with his Krag.  He shoots at Perry every year.

Even if you can't make it to shoot in the Roosevelt, consider coming to dinner if you can... and if possible, maybe stick around to watch the match in the morning.... but I do understand having other commitments (I actually almost had to cancel this year because of my niece's wedding).

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
But your niece changed her wedding date so you could shoot Perry right?!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Ned Butts wrote on Apr 11th, 2019 at 1:34pm:
But your niece changed her wedding date so you could shoot Perry right?!

butlersrangers wrote on Apr 11th, 2019 at 1:59pm:
Maybe she changed it so she could shoot at Perry!

Actually, her wedding is the weekend before Perry.  I would have been doubly stressed because I'm baking her wedding cake too (one of my many hidden talents - yes, I really do bake/decorate cakes semi-professionally).  I'm actually taking vacation for two weeks, one week for that and the second week for Perry!   Shocked

If her wedding wound up being the same day as the Garand Match, I had planned on driving from the Match to the wedding (which by the way, is in Bath, MI), and back to Perry afterward.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Pretty impressive to get 2 inch groups at 200 yds with the open sights Paul. I may be able to do that with lots of practice. I think my Krag is capable of 1 MOA with what I have been able to do with it so far. I just need more practice and will be fine tuning my reloads for this Krag.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Hello: Are you reloading cast lead or factory jacketed pills for your krag? I am just starting to reload for my "new"  for me krag rifle.
       Thanks, kc

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I load different loads for my Krags, depending on which Krag I'm shooting.  For instance, for my Bench Rest Cast Bullet rig sporter, I load a NOE 311365 (cast for me by Madsenshooter) with 19.0 grains of AA5744 and a CCI 200 primer.  For my GSV Match Krag (my WW1 Vet), I load a standard Hornady 220 gr RN jacketed bullet with 40.0 grains of IMR-4350 and a CCI 250 primer.

The 220 gr RN with 40.0 grains of IMR-4350 is as close as you can get to the original Krag .30 Army ammo.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Thank you. I am going to start with 180gr. Cast bullets. This is the mold I use for my 1903 Springfield.  I will start there and see what happens. Sounds like you have a couple of nice accurate krags!  I hope mine is too.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I haven't been shooting for extreme accuracy with my Krags as long as Paul has but I'm fine tuning different loads to find the sweet spots with one of my M1898 Krag rifles made in 1903 with a pristine bore. I am using the M1902 sight with the notch- not the Sgt. Peep. I tried that and couldn't do as well as with the open notch. (Yes, I did open it up a tiny amount.) I'm also wondering how the M1901 sight would work because the adjustment for distance is different and may be easier to finely adjust dependably.

I am using 37.0 Gr Varget with Hornady 180 gr. RN bullets and am also using 40.0 gr. IMR 4350 with Sierra 220 gr. RN bullets. I also have a number of vintage boxes of Remington SPCL bullets I have been using with this powder that have been quite accurate and fun to shoot.

So, I'm in the experimental stage more so but have been doing quite well but have some improvement to experience at longer distances.

The Krag certainly has a lot of accuracy to offer!

IP Logged

Playapat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Whig, one question about the Remington SPCLs. I found a few boxes of those bullets at a gun show recently, and I’m looking forward to trying them (my gun loves the Remington CL factory rounds). How much IMR-4350 do you load with the Remington bullets? I’m always looking for something new to try.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
My post is a little confusing, I guess.

I am using 40.0 gr IMR 4350 with the vintage Remington SPCL 220 gr RN bullets also. Same weight bullets and fairly similar design as the Sierras I use so I kept the powder and the load the same. There's such a variable range for these powders in a long barrel rifle that it takes a lot of testing to find the best load for your specific rifle.

I have been using regular Winchester large rifle primers not magnum. Some like the quicker ignition offered by the magnum primers but I haven't tested that yet. Most use regular primers.

Good luck and keep us informed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint