Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Mallory vs Poyer (Read 2136 times)
Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Mallory vs Poyer
Apr 12th, 2019 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
I finally found a reasonably priced hardback copy of The Krag Rifle Story and have only just started reading it. I bought a softcover The American Krag when I found my PC rifle. I’ve got to say that Poyer’s book is a better reference hands down. More photos, details, drawings and minutia with many direct comparisons with photos or drawings between the rifle models and all the variations of accessories. Mallory’s book is more of a history of the Krag as opposed to a detailed description of all things Krag. I don’t know if there are conflicts between them and don’t plan on comparing them line by line. Mallory’s book was published in 1979 while Poyer’s in 2002, a 23 year difference, as actual weapons are discovered and examined more information comes to light. I’d have to recommend The American Krag to a US Krag collector, if you’re into foreign Krags pick up Mallory’s book. An interesting note [at least to me] is that in the introduction Mallory writes that he met Lud Olson at the Baltimore Gun show in 1978. Happens to be where I found my beauty. Full circle I guess.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Mallory vs Poyer
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
If you have some patience in reading from a different perspective, I would highly recommend 5MadFarmer's Krag book which holds a valuable place all its own in the Krag collecting world. He brings a different style of writing to the collector's place but has tremendously documented details about the different Krags and changes and historical significance of the development of this fantastic firearm. It is significantly underpriced for its value.

His contact is:

5madfarmers@gmail.com

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Books evolve and build on each other. All books have mistakes, weaknesses, and strengths.

Franklin Mallory's "The Krag Rifle Story", was the pioneering work. Mallory improved a lot of things with his Second Edition and included Krag SRS data, in the appendix. Karl Egil Hanevik (a great author of Krag books in the Norwegian language) contributed great material on Krag prototypes and U.S. Trials Rifles.

William Brophy's, "The Krag Rifle", nicely complements Mallory's work. The photographs, paper and print were improved. The Norwegian and Danish material was done by Sigurd Halverson and (IMHO) is far better than Olson's coverage in the "KRS".

I like the Poyer & Riesch work, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine". It is an inexpensive and handy 'field book', with excellent pictures and side-by-side comparisons. (I have a couple copies and take it to gun shows and on trips for a handy reference).

The Poyer book has some minor mistakes, maybe false assumptions on production dates, and breaks things down into "TYPES", that are not official or accepted nomenclature. I find the "Poyer Book" very useful.

FWIW - Joe Farmer (5Mad Farmers) routinely vilified the 'Poyer book' on the KCA Forum and said it was only useful for "lining a bird cage".
(I never really knew what that venom was all about. I also, long ago, ran afoul of Mr. Farmer).

Joe Farmer has a highly regarded, 'self published' work that is advertised in the KCA Classifieds. I have not seen a copy, yet. I accept that it is 'A Must Read' with an entirely different approach, with novel insights, and amazing observations and original pioneering research.

I am lead to believe the published picture quality is poor, but, this is 'corrected' with an allowed access to Joe Farmer's web sight. (Others on this Forum would have fuller insights into this publication and internet access).

(FWIW - "Mallory vs. Poyer" is knd of an ironic Title. Poyer obviously drew heavily on the work of Mallory, Brophy, and many others).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Has anyone purchased this book on the Development of the Krag- Jorgensen?

I see it often on ebay. It is a 180 page soft-cover, self-published, and sells for around $51, shipped.

I wonder about its quality, value and content?

(BTW - Regarding the original posted question, "Mallory vs. Poyer?", I find my second edition of Mallory's "KRS" my most interesting and trustworthy Krag book.
I cross-check things in Mallory against Brophy's, "The Krag Rifle".
I find Poyer's book very useful, but, cross-check everything).

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I just finished Dorsett's book and found it a good read. It is much like Farmer's book and quotes many official documents and touches on the politics involved in the life of the Krag. Dorsett does not go or dig quite as deep as Farmer, so read it first if you can. I bought my copy a while ago and don't remember the cost but didn't think it was that much.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks Ned - Kenneth Dorsett is aka 'Kragluver', on gun forums.

His book is available on Amazon for $28.95, (shipped).

The reviews of his book are quite positive.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint