Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag 1918? (Read 2316 times)
OneGuy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag 1918?
Apr 13th, 2019 at 6:31am
Print Post  
hello all, Hoping for some help with this one.. I am fairly certain its a Norwegian Krag, it is chambered in 6.5x55 but not marked anywhere i can find

This was my grandfathers firearm and i am quite sure it is not a "sporterized" krag. I believe it came this way.. the only other one i've seen is on some auction site and is mislabeled as a "sporterized" version.. would love to see if anyone here has some info they can share.

Markings on the Firearm

- Letters AA are on the switch that controls if you are pulling rounds from the trap
- Markings D and B are under the rear sight. as well as some other marking in between them that i do not know what it is.
- there is a T marked in the side of the barrel
-10221 in the metal butt plate
- 20752 stamped into the barrel with other hallmark markings.
-1918 stamped on the top of the barrel below the

other unique piece is the trigger guard has a hole on the front side of it..

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: Krag 1918?
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 11:36am
Print Post  
You have a sporterized Norwegian Model 1912/16 carbine. They were actually "short rifles" the Norwegian version of out Model 1903, one rifle for all uses. The rear sight set far back on the barrel is unique to that Model, also the "flattened" bolt handle but that is easy to mismatch. They are the most common Norwegian Krag seen here and many had dark bores.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 11:43am
Print Post  
'OneGuy' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You have an unofficially altered Norwegian model 1912 carbine. The stock has been cut-down ('sportered') and a sling and commercial swivels were added.

Near the 1918 date is a 'Crown & Stylized K', this indicates manufacture at Kongsberg Arsenal, Norway, in 1918.

When first manufactured, all of the serial numbers on the carbine would have matched #20752.

Attached photo shows original appearance of a Norwegian model 1912 "Karabin". The Norwegian Sling has a 'snap-hook' which allowed it to be attached to the "eye" mounted on the Butt or at the hole on the front of the trigger-guard.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2019 at 5:21pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

OneGuy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2019 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge on these firearms. it's nice to know the history of this one.

This was my Grandpa's gun and he used it to feed his family for many many years.. glad to have it in my collection.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint