Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
S & K Scope Mount on Sporter Carbine (Read 2513 times)
Kermode
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

S & K Scope Mount on Sporter Carbine
Apr 14th, 2019 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
New member here to join the conversation on these sweet rifles and hopefully learn from those with experience with them.

I have a Model 1906 30/40 sporter carbine (~24") that has been relatively well done up - supposedly as an NRA carbine but from the research I've done a "real" NRA model is debatable. 

There is no rear sight, but has a Redfield sight (large ~0.139" dia. peep) on the back of the receiver.  The front is a 1903 (I believe) with a very narrow blade topped with copper.  I only hunt paper & steel so this combo and my poor eyesight makes it a real challenge to shoot. 

I have done a little reloading for it with Lyman 314299 and Lee 312185 in WW and Trail Boss (because the other milsurps like it!!) and it seems to function/shoot OK, but fussy with sizing/seating.

The other day I loaded some old 311466GC bullets that I picked up years ago and tried them with 16 to 17.5gr of 2400 and WOW!  17.0 chewed up the bull at 50yds so that one is a keeper.  Now we just need to find a that mold from a supplier who will ship up here.  Downside was that I ended up with a headache trying to concentrate on finding the target with that skinny sight through that large peep.

Due to old eyes, my LE No 4s (receiver mounted) and Mosins (scout style) all wear NDT mounts.  For various reasons I really prefer the receiver mounts and am looking at the S & K New Design to make it work for me.

The last post here about the S & K mount was in 2012, so was wondering if there are any more recent users of this mount that would be able to provide feedback on its suitability, fit etc. for their Model?

The S & K site shows the Insta-Mount New Design fitting a Model 1898.  I'll be contacting S & K for their take about the fit on a Model 1896 but was wondering from the knowledgeable ones here if there are sufficient differences in the left side receiver/cut-off area between the two Models that would prevent attachment?

Thanks in advance

Kermode

Pardon lousy pics!!

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: S & K Scope Mount on Sporter Carbine
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
The way that the S&K mount attaches will work on a Model 1898 or '96
These mount with a ring around the front of the receiver and a stud in the cut off hole (similar to no drill peep sights) The early version, at least, required a small relief channel to be cut in the inside of the stock at the front of the receiver for the ring.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
FWIW:

The OP's Krag appears to have an aftermarket 'molding-ring' installed. This streamlines the 'step' between the barrel and front edge of the receiver.

Does the mounting-ring at the front of an S&K mount, for the Krag, go around the barrel or around the receiver?

The molding-ring may need to be removed to install, if the S&K mount-ring goes around the barrel, but, probably enough wood has already been removed in required area.

If the ring goes around the receiver ring, wood will likely have to be removed.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Yes and Yes
pics later

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Figured out my camera and now the Battery is dead, will do more later
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2019 at 3:16pm by Ned Butts »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks Ned - It seems the S&K 'mount-band' just encircles the receiver ring and a narrow area of inletting would have to be done on the stock of OP's 'sportered' Krag. The barrel molding could stay.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
More pics, front lock screw and old style rear attachment

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint