Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Old powder (Read 4528 times)
FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Old powder
Apr 16th, 2019 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Thought about putting this in the ammo and reloading section but it probably is more chit chat.
We had a strong north wind Saturday and dust from the neighbors plowed field kept me from working outside on the ranch. Needed to do something useful, so I went inside and reloaded 45 shot shells for my Bond Snake Slayer. I am finishing up a canister that was labeled Hercules Unique that my father purchased sometime before 1965, maybe a coupe of years before.
Target accuracy is not necessary on shot shells from an average of 6 feet. The ones loaded a couple of years ago worked fine so I loaded up some that originally came from an old paper canister with the hand written label. I threw the old container away and now the remnants are stored in an old jelly jar. I bought a new pound of Unique from Alliant I think a few years ago, but have not opened it yet. If it lasts like the old stuff I will never use it all.
Anyone working with older powder?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Old powder
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I've kept some old powder in neat old containers my brother used to use in the 70s but I don't feel like I need to use it. I was always taught to smell the old stuff before using it because it smells acidic when it starts to deteriorate and go bad.

I figure that new powder is cheap enough that I don't need to use old stuff when I'm not sure. I do a lot of precision loading for accuracy and want reliable ignition throughout.

But, for shot shells that aren't that critical- go ahead and load some, then test it out. It won't harm you if it is bad. Might just not explode or give a hang fire.

I like taking old stuff and lighting it to watch it burn. But, that's the pyro in me!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
A couple years ago, I loaded some .45 ACP using an old can of Herco that my dad had from his 12 gauge reloading (he used to load for skeet).  The powder was around 15 years old, but he kept the can stored properly, and it smelled ok, so I used it.  Cartridges went bang just like they should have.  Older powder that was properly stored can still be ok, but make sure you check it!  By the way, I still have that can of Herco!

IP Logged

Playapat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 2:01am
Print Post  
I just loaded some 45 Colt with a container of Unique that I inherited from my Dad. The powder dates from - at least - the early 90s, possibly some time in the 80s. The powder worked without a problem.

I also have a lot of old primers, including some LR Primers from RWS, a West German company. The package is stamped 1973. That’s what I use in my Krag reloads, and they work fine too.

If nothing looks off (including the smell), I would give it a try.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2020 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I have come to the end of this road. Loaded the last of the old unique that my father bought back in the early 60s. Made about 30 rounds of 45 shot shells. Time to crack open the new canister of Unique. Now made by Alliant. The flakes in the new (2005) canister look identical to the old ones. From the label the new stuff will burn a little cleaner. Now have 45 rounds of these 45 caliber snake shot shells, so will be shooting them for several years. Just not loading anymore from the old batch as there is not enough powder in there for a squib load.

The canister on the left is my oldest one now, purchased after I got married probably in 1979 or 1980. Notice the store was Gibsons  back when you could buy gunpowder at a department store for $7.95! I doubt this is the oldest being currently loaded by a KCA member so I surrender my title.

The rounds of shot shells and varmint bullets on the right were loaded with the new Unique.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2020 at 3:53pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2020 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
What's a "Department Store"?

..... I sometimes slipup and say things like "Dime Store" or "Record Album" to a young person and realize they are smiling and nodding, without comprehension.

Stories and jokes lose their punch, when you have to explain everything.

Hey ... is that a "Ball Jar" or a "Mason Jar"?

Did you know that Ball State University, in Indiana, was named for the 'Ball Jar Family'?

The sand for the old bluish 'Ball Jars' came from a, now greatly reduced, sand dune at Michigan City, Indiana, on Lake Michigan.

... amazing the useless crap you know when you get old!
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2020 at 1:25pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 29th, 2020 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
BR, now that you mention it I did not even know if the store is still there.
They are Gibson's, Kerrville Texas -
(You need to Login to view media files and links)
The link is supposed to go to the local store in Kerrville, it did for me. The sporting goods dept showed some deer on the wall that looked right for Kerrville. Way more ammo than Walmart ever had but I did not see any reloading stuff. I think Gibson's was more common in the past but this is the only one I remember seeing lately (40 years ago).

Pretty sure it is a Mason jar.

BR, I think we are on our way to getting old, whatcha think? Beats dying young though.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2020 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Does it matter what kind of jar it is?  Nope.  What does matter is how was the corn squeezin's that were in it.

I keep a jug handy when I is reloading.  Glad to see I am not alone.   Roll Eyes Cheesy

Of course squeezin's ain't just for breakfast anymore.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2020 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
During the dry spell a few years ago I found an unopened old cardboard keg of bullseye. No water damage. When I got home I transferred it to five mty one pound tall black plastic powder containers to limit the amount of air contact. Been loading .45 and ,38 out of container No 1 for a bit, 3.0 to 3.5 gr is not a lot of powder. Seems to be fine.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2020 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Remember the smell ... of 'powder'?

I had a couple of the Pony Boys, but, was really 'packin'  when I got a Nichols six-shooter and a Derringer, with the two piece cartridges you could load a piece of cap into! .... Woo Hoo!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2020 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Well on the jar that does not matter, it does say Ball in big bold letters, Mason in smaller letters. My family always called them Mason so I never noticed the "BALL".
I just bought one for something a couple of weeks ago and regretted that it was made in China. I guess they are conserving that big pile of sand.

Culpepper if you notice in the jar there are a couple of loose flakes of Unique in their, I guess if I was drinking from it things might of gotten a little loopy.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 29th, 2020 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
FWIW - I had to wonder at my own question.
Some notes:

John Landis Mason (1832-1902) was a U.S. tinsmith, who envisioned the gasket/seal lid, threaded metal seal-ring, and manufacturing mold for the "Mason Jar". He held several U.S. patents from 1858 and later. He sold off his rights to some of his patents.

The Ball Brothers had a manufacturing plant in Buffalo, N.Y., that made glass-lined containers for kerosene. Around 1884, they realized some of Mason's patents had expired and began making Mason jars.

The Ball Company was building a new factory in Muncie, Indiana, when the Buffalo plant burned down, around 1886.

The Ball Co. was ethical and paid a License fee to put the "Mason" name on their Ball Jars.

Both Mason jar and Ball Jar are correct terms for FredC's 'screw top jar'.

"Kerr" was another prolific maker of "Mason Jars".

Attached: one of Mason's patent drawings and Ball Logos to date your powder container/Moonshine container.

(FredC's jar dates 1960 or later).

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 30th, 2020 at 5:45am
Print Post  
FredC wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 7:52pm:
Culpepper if you notice in the jar there are a couple of loose flakes of Unique in their, I guess if I was drinking from it things might of gotten a little loopy.

That would be drinkin shine with an expolsive kick to it!   Grin

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint