Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Identify my Krag (Read 1188 times)
MUSKIEMIKE
KCA Forum Member

need krag info

Identify my Krag
Apr 23rd, 2019 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I have inherited a Krag and would like to know what I have.....

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Identify my Krag
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
'MUSKIEMIKE' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You have a Norwegian Krag carbine in 6.5X55mm caliber. Its stock has been cut-down by someone, probably for 'Hunting' convenience. (Wood pieces and barrel-bands have been discarded, which greatly diminishes its collector value).

Your Krag, serial number 10012, was built in 1906 at the Kongsberg Wappenfabrikk (Arms Factory), in Norway, as shown by the "Crown & K" mark.

Your Krag was built as a Model 1904 - Royal Engineers Carbine. The long stock originally extended to within 2 & 3/4 inches of the barrel muzzle. There was also a top wooden hand-guard that extended to the stock tip.

If your Krag's bore is in good condition, the rifle still has good utility value. Ammunition (6.5X55mm 'Swedish Mauser') is readily available and popular in the U.S.

BTW - The 'hinge-pin' for your 'side magazine-gate' has been put in backwards. The flat metal piece, attached to the pin, should be at the front of the magazine. (It is also slightly bent). It is a cover, intended to pivot 'down', snap into an opening, and cover part of the follower mechanism. (It gives access for inspection and lubrication).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint