Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 non-Colt & non-G.I. 1911's (Read 3755 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

non-Colt & non-G.I. 1911's
May 2nd, 2019 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
If your heart is not set on owning an original model 1911, (that was used by the U.S. Military or made by Colt, a U. S. Armory, or a Government contractor), it is a wonderful time, IMHO, to buy a "KNOCK-OFF 1911".

They come in all sizes and flavors. My LGS has taken some 'trade-ins' that were virtually new, good quality, and priced very attractive.

I have amassed a battery of three for less money than the cost of a single nice Krag.

1911's are a hoot to shoot (and re-load for)!

Pictured: Springfield Armory "WW2" repro (Genesco, Ill.), Remington (Commander size), and Rock Island - "Officer" - (Philippines).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: non-Colt & non-G.I. 1911's
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2019 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Very nice!  Of course, I'm waiting for the call from the CMP for my 1911A1.  I applied, and my RGN is within the initial 8000.  For a while though, I considered buying one of the knock-offs.  I agree that the 1911 is one fun gun to shoot.  I qualified and medaled with one when I was in the Navy.  I also shot a lot of rounds while on the ship's security forces on the USS Ranger!  I do reload .45 ACP because my carry weapon is a Taurus PT-145 in .45 ACP.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2019 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Thanks Paul:
I especially like the Philippine made (Rock Island) "Officer". It is quite accurate and has a wonderful trigger.

The pistol was amazingly inexpensive with some ugly smooth blonde stocks. I invested $11 in rubber checkered ones, which totally changed the 'look'.

If I get a CCW permit, it would make a fine 'carry' gun.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2019 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
I love shooting the 1911! I had my dad's army pistol, an old Remington Rand, completely redone by Wayne Novak years ago and shot that for years in local training drills with Ken Hackathorn. I got a neat Wilson Combat CQB Elite 1911 in 9mm during the Obama years when .45 ammo was hard to get and I reloaded around 10,000 rounds that I shot with Hackathorn. My muscle memory is definitely set for the 1911 more than any other handgun.

So, I'll never tire of these old slab sides. I have never owned (and probably never will) any Glock. They just feel so weird with the trigger and grips. But, the 1911 doesn't need replaced for me. They are larger and heavier but make great side arms for carry.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I DO like my Taurus... but nothing beats the feel of a 1911!  Like you Whig, I started loading .45 ACP because of the availability and price of ammo about 5 years ago!  I loaded the Berry's "Plated" 185 gr bullets.  The price is great and they work well for practice and plinking!

Oh... and I'll NEVER own a Glock.  I hate em! 
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2019 at 2:08pm by psteinmayer »  
IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2019 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Yes sir.  There in nothing that says BOOM! than a  1911.  I enjoy shooting my Ithaca when I am not in Africa setting bait traps for sub-saharan albino polar bears.

(Of course that 1917 I use to guard the likkor shelf is a good second.)

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2019 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Paul I use tons of the Berry's plated bullets also. They are great and always a nice price. Can't beat that!

I've picked up tens of thousands of pieces of .45 brass over the years. I can spot a .45 shell from yards away. Won't touch .40 caliber brass- never have and never will fool with those. Always been a .45 and 9mm person with my 1911 pistols.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2019 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
I briefly owned a nice, used (like new), Glock, in .40 S&W caliber. It was a fine pistol, inexpensive, very accurate, and had 'night-sights'.

BUT .... I have that muscle memory for the 1911 (and Browning HP), that 'Whig' wrote about.

The Glock felt awkward and 'high in the hand'. I had to 'overthink' everything, when shooting and field-stripping it.

I thought: "I will exploit the piles of .40 S&W brass that is lying on the ground at every Range".

Then I read .... The "Warnings":
high pressure cartridge, unwise to reload, no cast bullets in a Glock .40 ....

Oh Bother! I traded it off. It's good to keep life simple.

P.S. - I have to try some of Berry's Bullets. Anyone using one of their .30 caliber projectiles in a Krag?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2019 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Never used Berry's .308 bullets. I think they are 150 grain if I remember. Sounds like it would be worth a try, though. I've never had any problems or issues with the company or their products. I order dozens of their ammo boxes for my reloading. Great prices.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2019 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Berry's has both 230 gr and 185 gr bullets with the same nose dimensions.  The 185 gr has a cavity in the back which is how they reduced the weight while keeping the shape the same.  They're great for practice, and very inexpensive when compared with other brands of 230 gr FMJ bullets.  For the 185 gr bullets, I use 8.6 grains of HS-6 and Winchester Large Pistol primers.

I've also not used the Berry's rifle bullets, but if I thought they could provide accuracy similar to what I achieve with the Hornady and Nosler bullets for my match shooting, I'd give 'em a whirl!

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2019 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Here’s my take on a knockoff 1911 [not an A1]. The top is a real Colt 1911 slide with the small sights and HS stamped bbl. The 1970ish Essex frame has all gi parts- wide checkered hammer, checkered thumb safety and slide lock, short spur grip safety, long steel trigger, smooth lanyard ring mainspring hsg. And then I distressed the whole thing. Runs great. I’ve never got bit but those sights are small.
Also forgot, the double diamond grips were new but also got distressed.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2019 at 6:10pm by Baltimoreed »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2019 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
'Baltimoreed' - Looking Good! - (Your G.I. clone).

Regarding Projectiles:

Graf & Sons has quite a selection of 'coated' and 'plated' (lead) pistol and rifle bullets.  Makers are Acme, Berry's, and Missouri Bullet Company and bulk prices seem reasonable.

I wonder if any of these coated or plated .30 caliber rifle bullets have been tried by KCA members?

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 5th, 2019 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I have a few 110gr RN loaded for my Remington model 14 in 30Rem.  Haven't done any real shooting with them though.  They were slow loads, just for plinking, loaded with a powder similar to Blue Dot in burn rate, around 16gr of it.  Their website says 1750fps tops for the bullet. They did function well in one rapid fire experiment.  I like working that old pump!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint