Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 1898 Feed Issue (Read 10456 times)
GunGrunt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 Feed Issue
May 15th, 2019 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I just acquired an M1898 in great condition.  I would like to use it in CMP Vintage Rifle competition, but I am having an occasional feed problem.  The cartridge rim appears to jam as it comes around under the bolt.  The bolt will not move forward, as though it has been somehow locked to the rear.  If I open the loading gate I can push the offending cartridge down, then close the gate and everything is usually OK.  Any ideas?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Feed Issue
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2019 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
First, congratulations on your new Krag! We are one big happy family here of Krag lovers and will do all we can to help you get the most enjoyment out of your fascinating piece of history. We'd love to know more about your rifle and see pictures if you can post some. That can actually help us see directly what might be going on and can give us the ability to see what you have and discuss the history of it.

The first and most frequent problem is years of built up dirt and grime. If you haven't done so, remove the bolt and clean all surfaces well and check the magazine to make sure there isn't old cosmoline caked inside. This is a common feed problem. If you don't know how to remove the bolt, let us know. Check to make sure the action works and the follower is freely moving as you close the magazine door. You might need to carefully remove the left receiver side plate to clean in there and check the action.

But, there may be a part damaged or missing. The ammunition itself may be a problem if it is a spire or pointed bullet. Round nose ammo feeds best, as it was designed to do 130 years ago.

See if these suggestions help and let us know. We'll anxiously await pictures. Also, tell us more about where you got it from and any history you know about it. Is it "sporterized" or original military condition? What is the serial number and barrel length?

Good luck!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2019 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Doe it have a magazine cutoff?  Is it the proper length?  Might take a short one, might take a long one.  If a short one is used where a long one is needed, it leaves a little place the rim can catch.  Also take a look at the pin of the follower, rims can catch on them.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2019 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Not all Krags feed Spitzer bullets reliably.  If you're shooting Remington or Hornady factory, they may be hanging up at the feed ramp.  Also, as others have said, check for built up crud or a missing/incorrect magazine cutoff.

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2019 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
My 1898 will not feed the fifth round from the magazine. I have been told, it is the fault of a weak magazine spring. Perhaps this may be an issue.

IP Logged

GunGrunt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2019 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
M1898 S/N 445281 (i think one of the last ones made)
Unmodified.  Has flip up pin hole rear sight.
Round nosed bullets.  I am testing both 180gr and 230gr, but both have the same COL

As mentioned above I too have a problem with 5th round feed.  I and going to completely disassemble the feed ramp and polish all of the surfaces.  I have a new spring as well.

The bigger issue is the occasional jam. The bullet is not jammed against the feed ramp, but the bolt will not move forward and it is not touching the rear of the cartridge.  If I open the door and shake down the round I can clear the jam.

Sorry, but I can't figure out how to post photos.  I don't have access to a web site to which I can upload and reference photos.

IP Logged

GunGrunt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2019 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Oops!  I guess I can upload photos.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2019 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Check to make sure there is not a problem with your ejector 'hanging-up' and binding your bolt.

A cartridge should not be in the position, shown in your photo, unless the bolt has pushed it forward.
If it moved to that point by inertia, there is likely a follower-spring or side-plate issue.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2019 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
The locking lug should contact the receiver when the bolt is all the way back.  I have a Norwegian that is giving me a similar problem.  I think the hard to remove ejector pin is broken, and maybe the ejector itself.  The pin is staked in on some Norwegians, no such problem with a US Krag.

IP Logged

GunGrunt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2019 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Lesson learned - a magazine follower that looks new is NOT the same as new.  I just replaced my follower spring with a brand new original spring and all of my feed problems seem to have cleared up!

Thanks to everyone that commented.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2019 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Congrats and enjoy the fully functioning Krag!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2019 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Awesome news GunGrunt!  Now go load up some rounds and bang away!!!

IP Logged

GunGrunt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Not so fast everyone.  I just figured out the real issue on my bolt jam and failure to feed.

If the rim of the cartridge in the ready position is behind the rim of the next cartridge in line it will not load and keeps the bolt from going forward.  The reason is that the rim of the ready cartridge is behind the rim of the next cartridge so it is trying to push the next round in the magazine forward with it. The nose of the next cartridge is up against the forward wall of the magazine well so it can't move.

If I carefully load each cartridge so the rim of each succeeding cartridge is behind the previous cartridge all is good.

Is something not working right, or is this normal?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 1:09am
Print Post  
This is not normal. The U.S. Krag is not prone to 'rim jams'.

(As 'parashooter' has illustrated, in a previous thread on the subject, the Krag magazine surfaces direct the 'dumped-in' rimmed cartridges to sort themselves out and feed in 'echelon').

"Usual Prime Suspects" for feed problems are: 1. Dried grease & crud in feed-path. 2. Damaged or incorrect side-plate. 3. Early '92 or '96 follower-mechanism in a model 1898 action.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Again, first and foremost common problem is crud, dirt and lack of lubrication. I took one of my Krags a part and found a rather large dead bug stuck inside of the magazine well where I normally would not have seen it. That definitely would have caused some feed problems!  There may be something bent or not functioning properly.

Keep us informed with the detective work. It's a labor of love. Keep at it!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint