Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Best Sight for Accuracy? (Read 6977 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Best Sight for Accuracy?
Reply #15 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
The smaller rear peep is nice but it is sometimes hard to find the front blade sight. If it is a clean hole, it certainly can be more accurate. One problem people have is having their head too far back from the peep. There is an ideal eye relief with them depending on size of aperture.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #16 - May 20th, 2019 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Of course it helps to have good eyeballs too. Sad

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - May 20th, 2019 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
You're right! At 55, I thank God mine are still pretty good. Starting to need readers when I get tired.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - May 20th, 2019 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
I wear three level progressives... but fortunately, it doesn't affect my sighting and I wear an older pair of glasses for shooting.  I'm 56 going on 72... LOL so I count my blessings that I can shoot straight enough to compete!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:03am
Print Post  
I guess that's the difference between close up and distance sighting. Pretty impressive, Paul! Hope the eyes keep you shooting straight for years to come.

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #20 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
I am a new Krag owner with a 1902 gun and sight.  I prefer the 1902 based on never having fired a shot.  So; take my post with a grain of salt.

I have been shooting Grands, 1903A3 and a M1A with true rear apertures. And also several 1903's and a Trapdoor all with the 'hole' in the rear sight.  The later two, do not function as apertures and IMHO, all they do is limit the field of view.The shooter has to center the front sight. In the first 3, the shooter gets aperture effect, where no effort is needed to center the front post.

Again, extrapolating from the 03 and trapdoor, folks are not enlarging an aperture with the Krag.  They are making a hole bigger. To work, the hole has to be right up in your face.  This is why you dont see aperture sights on pistols. They dont work.

Anyway, I am a new member and I hope I am not making to strong a post or misrepresenting the posts of others. I have been know to do that. 

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 2:06am
Print Post  
fourbore-  I do think you have a good point that many aperture sights have the aperture hole closer to the eye than the Krag rear sight. That would make sighting easier and somewhat quicker than if you have to search a little for it.

But, I think this is nit picking a little if you have good eye sight. I don't have much trouble at all in quickly picking up the front sight through the aperture hole in the 1901 Krag rear sight with the ladder raised. This has worked much better for me than the smaller Sgt Peep sight hole on the 1902 rear Krag sight.

Paul has shown where he has enlarged his rear 1902 Sgt Peep sight to make it easier to use but he had to enlarge the entire Peep sight upper tab with epoxy to have enough material to actually drill and file out the hole larger. The 1901 aperture hole is larger than even the slightly enlarged 1902 Sgt Peep sight and is very easy to use. I have been shooting more accurately and more consistently with my M1898 Krag rifle after I switched out the 1902 sight with a 1901 sight. (It required changing the hand guard also.)

The 1902 rear sight is not bad and you can easily use the sighting notch if you don't like the Sgt Peep small aperture. I did real well with that notch sight initially but I was trying to wrestle a little better performance out of my Krag to get closer to 1 MOA groups more consistently. The 1901 aperture sight is helping me achieve that goal, with the help of many skilled and experienced people on this forum.

Keep working with the Krag. It will reward you handsomely!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint