Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
My cut down long rifle turned School Rifle project (Read 3112 times)
Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

My cut down long rifle turned School Rifle project
May 31st, 2019 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Hello,

Several months ago, I purchased a cut down 1898 long rifle. The serial placed it in 1903 production. The barrel was about 24", so I decided that I would make it into a correct looking School Rifle. After the rifle arrived at my local 01-FFL, I arranged for Bruce Dow, of Dow Arms Room, in Dade City, Fl to do the work. Had the rifle shipped there, along with the new front sight parts and a bayonet to get the spacing right. The rifle arrived back at my 01-FFL, today. I am away from home and will pick up in October. My dealer sent pics......No.....it isn't an "original" School rifle, but it is much better than what it was as a cut down rifle (Last pic). I have a 1901 Carbine sight and a hand guard.....thinking about placing them on this rifle. Comments are welcome, but please, be civil.

Added a pic of a Hulbert cartridge belt that I purchased.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2019 at 6:00pm by Jason60chev »  

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: My cut down long rifle turned School Rifle project
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2019 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Looks like a fun shooter.
Barrel still 24"?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2019 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
A nice looking 'Little Krag'. Come home safe and enjoy it soon!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2019 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Looks nice for your intentions. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Put a nice sling on it and it will be even more correct!

That's great that you have an official carbine rear sight for this school rifle.

Also, the school rifles, copies of the official Philippine Constabulary rifles, were made to use the 1903 Springfield bayonets on them which have a slightly different attachment to them that requires a slight angulation of the front of the bayonet lug. So few people really know this, outside of this forum, that what you have is fine.

Good job to the Krag artist who did your work. Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2019 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
No. It is 22", like it is supposed to be. I trust that is what Bruce made it, because that is what I asked him to do.

Ned Butts wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 5:11pm:
Looks like a fun shooter.
Barrel still 24"?

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2019 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Thank you. Yes, I had read that about the M1905 Bayonet attachment. I haven't decided on a sling for this rifle. it is a 1903 production. I supposed just about any sling from the 1887 to the Kerr would be good. I am quite partial to the Kerr. I like how it can be tighened up real good.

Whig wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 5:15pm:
Looks nice for your intentions. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Put a nice sling on it and it will be even more correct!

That's great that you have an official carbine rear sight for this school rifle.

Also, the school rifles, copies of the official Philippine Constabulary rifles, were made to use the 1903 Springfield bayonets on them which have a slightly different attachment to them that requires a slight angulation of the front of the bayonet lug. So few people really know this, outside of this forum, that what you have is fine.

Good job to the Krag artist who did your work. Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle build, cutting 30 inch bbls down to a more manageable length was a very popular modification. I enjoy shooting my 1899 school rifle a lot. Best of both Krag worlds, a shorter handier bbl but a full stock and the bbl correctly turned for a bayonet for the occasional bayonet charge. Would like pix and a range report when all done. Here’s mine with my faux krag/bowie bayonet. Remember the Alamo! ...Oops wrong war, Remember the Maine! And especially this week, remember Normandy.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
If you stab me with your "faux" bayonet, I'm sure I'll bleed "faux" blood!

Looks great no matter what the naysayers say!

IP Logged

Jason60chev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Nice looking rifle that you have. I don't think mine looks as good. I have no plans yo do any re-finishing, etc, other than installing a 1901 carbine sight that I have. I may have to re-finish the hand guard. Range report will not be until October of this year.

Baltimoreed wrote on Jun 3rd, 2019 at 12:03pm:
Nice rifle build, cutting 30 inch bbls down to a more manageable length was a very popular modification. I enjoy shooting my 1899 school rifle a lot. Best of both Krag worlds, a shorter handier bbl but a full stock and the bbl correctly turned for a bayonet for the occasional bayonet charge. Would like pix and a range report when all done. Here’s mine with my faux krag/bowie bayonet. Remember the Alamo! ...Oops wrong war, Remember the Maine! And especially this week, remember Normandy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint