Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Need help identifying this add-on (Read 1769 times)
gtbee80
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Need help identifying this add-on
May 31st, 2019 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
This is mounted just rear of the side-plate on Model 1899 sn346874 that in all other respects appears to be a legit carbine, has a 1901 Carbine rear sight.

There are 2 threaded bolts into the receiver (does not use side-plate screw). Before I remove it & patch the holes would like to know what it is. I have 20 Krags & and maybe a dozen Lyman/Redfield/Rice/Williams peep sights but have never seen this.

Whatever it is it's probably incomplete, missing something, or is the latch/holder for another piece that is missing. Lever moves back & forth as though it would latch/release something.

Any ideas? Thanks all!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Need help identifying this add-on
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2019 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
It is for a Lyman #33 or #34 sight.

Unfortunately, this required alteration to stock and side-plate, as well as, new holes in receiver.

IP Logged

gtbee80
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2019 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Got it, thanks very much! I have a Lyman 57K in my box of stuff (not mounted) that requires drill/tap but mounts on the right side like a lot of others that require drill/tap. This one is new to me.

I did see the slight mod to the stock but was not aware the side-plate needed modification too.

May try to find the parts to a 33/34K on e-bay or something before removing it altogether & patching the holes.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2019 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
If I had your Krag, I would patiently shop for the Lyman #33 or #34 sight. They show up on ebay and sell for around $100 to $125.

IMHO - There is no perfect way to undo the alteration. It is easier to stay with the commercial Lyman sight.

I believe the Krag base is identical for the #33 and #34.

The 'slide' or upper part of the #33 has 'friction' adjustable windage. The slide of the #34 has a 'micrometer-knob' to adjust windage and the eye-piece is threaded to accept a screw-in 'peep'.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2019 at 12:30am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint