Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 How to restore the stock finish or look ? (Read 9637 times)
fourbore
KCA Forum Member

How to restore the stock finish or look ?
May 31st, 2019 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Or is it possible.  About 1/2 the Krags I see have a dark red/brown color and shinny gloss look.  I belive the look is from soldiers rubbing gun oil over the stock and 100 years of time.  What ever it is I like the old glossy 'look'.  The other 1/2 of the guns appeared to have been cleaned at some point.  They look lke any other old gun on the rack.  I am looing for a nice 1902 ish rifle with the 02 stock and 02 sight and 02 serial number.  I found one locally and everything is perfect, good bore, crisp cartouche - BUT !! at some point some one improved it with a good cleaning.  I could hold out, or I could give this orphan a home.

Is there any way to get that old look back?  I heard tricks like Mystery Oil or Liquid Gold and lots of time and rubbing.  Note this is not a preservative, it is to replicate what we know today is bad practice of using petroleum product on a wood stock. That is for the gloss.  Then there is the color.  Were these stained?  The unmolested guns have a deep redish tint.

Can these ever be made to look right again?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: How to restore the stock finish or look ?
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2019 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
The American walnut Krag stocks were stained at Springfield with 'logwood' stain, which gave them a pleasant reddish-brown color.

When woodwork was completed, they were subjected to a soak in hot 'vats' of linseed oil.

There were also 30,000 Krag stocks made from Italian walnut blanks. These are lighter in color, but, sometimes were stained locally to better match the other Krags in a unit.

'Marvel Oil' has no place on a wood stock, use Linseed Oil thinned with turpentine.

Howard's Feed & Wax, Carnauba wax, or Furniture polish like 'Pledge' or 'Liquid Gold' should do no harm to a rubbed Linseed Oil finish.

IMHO and experience, discussion of wood finish and wood care products, will often start a Holy War.

Never use Marvel Oil or Oven Cleaner on wood! 

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 12:35am
Print Post  
I work on a lot of stocks from general cleaning to restoring and matching varnish and aging colors.

I have used Howard's Feed and Wax for years for cleaning and some restoration work but this will not darken the wood. I use Boiled Linseed Oil when I am trying to restore the aged look and fix stocks that needed some staining initially.

We all have our secret ways of working with our mil surp stocks. The old adage of "Do No Harm" plays well with this kind of work. Strong petroleum products and some chemical cleaners will ruin nice wood so be careful.

If you have a specific problem, post some pictures and let us see. We might suggest a certain approach.

Good luck and keep us informed!

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 1:28am
Print Post  
It appears this forum will host photos. If I get the rifle I will post a picture.

Is there a stain available today that will match the logwood color?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Honestly, with the wide variety of different colors or appearance of authentic, aged, military configuration Krag rifles and carbines, I don't think you need to reproduce the exact original stain used 120 years ago. I have a number of Krags, as do many others on this forum, and most of them, side by side, look different. I use staining to try to best match the specific firearm stock I am working on for consistency of the different parts. I hate seeing a Krag that has a dark stock and a light hand guard. I have actually passed up purchasing some nice Krags because they appeared to be mismatched in their stock parts. That's a dead give-a-way that it has been pieced together at some point.

So, you don't have to reproduce the original color of stain to be authentic or correct.

Others can chime in to help. I have not studied the original staining process as much as some other Krag-philes, so, your question may be answered better by someone else. I just wanted to add my 2c worth of experience!

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 2:46am
Print Post  
I just rubbed wax from an ordinary toilet bowl ring into the woods of a No1 rifle I just restored. Seen it done elsewhere and along with a couple of good doses of flax seed oil, sunlight and turpentine it worked like a charm.
That barbaric thick gooey yellow wax brought it around very well for for what I wanted to achieve after scraping the stock to iron it out some. It's like a hundred years of dirty wax build up in a very short time, glad I found out about it.
This was, however on a rifle that's been around some. A really nice piece of wood probably wouldn't be subjected to such a desperate measure unless it was broken or needed some patch work and blending.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 5:03am
Print Post  
Was it a 'used' toilet seal ring or a new one?
I'm sure that a 'used' ring would have some interesting added ingredients!  Cheesy

(Sorry, I could not help myself).

IIRC - The main ingredient (on a new toilet seal ring) is Bee's Wax.

Bee's Wax is also a large component part of 'Howard's Wax & Feed' and many other antique wood polish and final finish recipes.

Mixtures of Bee's Wax or Carnauba wax are benign wood treatments and nicely restore luster and a slight sheen, when hand rubbed and buffed with a soft cloth.
They help protect wood and are easily thinned or removed with turpentine, mineral spirits, or a turpentine & linseed oil mixture.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2019 at 2:52pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Doco's toilet bowl wax treatment really makes the stock look like sh*t!

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Not sure if they still are, but toilet ring were made of bee's wax.

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
I use to go with flaked and then melted bee's wax mixed with a little turps and BLO but realized I was just playing with my....well you know what. One thing is for sure sandpaper is probably the worst enemy of stock wood.

If you can create a barrier to allow some polymerization to occur with most oils that have driers added without successive coats congealing is where you can get some good results especially on a working rifle like this one.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 11:38am
Print Post  
I used Birchwood Casey's walnut rusty wood stain. It’s water based and the first coat looks terrible but it evens out after a few more. I used it on my ‘03 Springfield sporter [21 inch bbl] rebuild. But this was a sanded and modded scant stock. Turns out nice and reddish. BUT...I would never sand an original stock on a Krag or Springfield unless it was already buggered up and the cartouche was already gone.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2019 at 7:36pm by Baltimoreed »  

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 10:33am
Print Post  
This stock looks about idential to the one I was looking at. Very nice shape, but; the special look is gone.

IP Logged

RichWIS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Clean it first, have found mineral spirits and cheese cloth or the gray scotch brite pads work well for this.  Apply the MS and rub GENTLY on a small area and wipe off with paper towels.  Dirt and grime are not additives to any finish I know of. Once satisfied it is clean, or as clean as it will get, apply a 3/1 mix of BLO and MS liberally and rub in for 5-10 minutes and wipe off excess. After a day or two apply again but only enough to wet the stock and rub with your bare hand until it feels warm.  Wipe off the excess and repeat daily until you are satisfied with the finish. This will reproduce the shiny finish you see on some stocks, but gloss will depend on how smooth the stock was to start with.  If the stock is extremely dry you can start with a 2/1 mix of BLO/MS which will penetrate better.

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
How about the red stain?  The stock in my photo has lost the red hue.  And there are dark/light steaks that run with the grain.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
I clean my oil finished wood stocks with a oil scrub.

I cut raw linseed oil with turpentine to a 20%/80% mixture, then scrub the wood with a very fine scotch-brite pad.  Remember, you are trying to lift the dirt and grime out of the grain, while not removing any wood in the process. 

Work in small sections at a time, then wipe the oil and lifted grime with a clean cloth.

Once you are finished, wipe the stock down again with a cloth moistened with turpentine, allow the stock to dry for a day or two, then repeat.

When the stock is as clean as you want it, rub in a few coats of linseed oil.

Original 1903 stock after an oil scrub.  After cleaning it up, the handling marks from the individual that it was issued to became visible. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint