Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
 25 How to restore the stock finish or look ? (Read 9508 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: How to restore the stock finish or look ?
Reply #30 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Fourbore:  I am not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish with such exactitude. (If that is a word.) I have been collecting and repairing and fixing and shooting Krags for years and have seen such a variety of authentic rifles and carbines that I don't think that there is any one exact tone or finish that isn't generally accepted as "correct" and "original" today. Heck, they're 120+ years old! Consider the extent that these firearms have been used and handled and stored and abused and all of the grease and oil and sweat and dirt they have accumulated over these hundred plus years. I have a huge variation of tones of stain and patina that adorn my Krags and most of them look great! I've even added grease and heat to parts sometimes to add to the patina and aging appearance. You certainly want it to look good without ever trying to deceive someone to think it really is original as from the factory.

I don't think you need the secret formula used at SA back in the day to get what you want.

When I am restoring or repairing or trying to refinish a part of my Krags, I often start with using a dark cherry stain that I have had for 30 years. I don't have a formula or an exact time I leave it on before wiping it off. I let it dry and use some order of BLO and beeswax based wood conditioner to give it a more even tone and nice clean look. I would challenge most people to look at my Krags and definitively discern which ones have been fooled with and which ones are older finishes.

So, give some simple approaches a try and post pictures. I think you'll find it's easier than you think. It's also fun to try!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #31 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I agree with 'Whig'. There is a variation seen in the color of American black walnut Krag stocks, even when 'un-messed' with. (photo #1)

The contrast, between Italian walnut and American black walnut, is usually rather apparent. (photo #2)

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #32 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 10:06am
Print Post  
anyone try Varathane, available at Home Depot

Quote:
Varathane 241413 1/2 Pint Black Cherry Varathane® Premium Wood Stain

A Soya oil-based premium wood stain that is formulated with a unique base for deeper penetration and premium synthetic pigments for clearer color 

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #33 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
I got the gun and have applied a coat of varthane oil based stain in dark cherry.  Well the color is prefect, but; I think the stain is mostly sitting on the surface. I hoped the oil would mix in with the old oil finish.  The instructions says wipe it off and it dries in one hour? If I wipe it off, there very little staining. I am letting a thin coat sit on the stock and after 24 hours it is tacky.  The only prep was to wipe it down with mineral spirits to remove any recent gun oil the shop may have applied.  The rag looked clean and I did not attempt to remove any finish in any way.

Here is a yesterday and today shot. Keep in mind today is still wet.

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2019 at 4:04pm by fourbore »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #34 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Looks a little darker and shiner. Much nicer.

I think you've found out that your stock has so much old oil and dirt that the wood cells are not porous anymore and won't soak in any more stain. If you put stain on wood like that, it will either just wipe off if its still wet or, if you let it dry too long, it just dries in a sticky layer and doesn't look good.

I'd stay with what you've done. It looks better and actually pretty nice. Otherwise, you'd need to use mineral spirits and clean off a lot of the old oil and strip some of the old stain out to try to refinish it more. That's a ton of trouble and you might not get it looking much better.

Now, put it back together and shoot it!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #35 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Also, on the posting page, if you look next to the "Choose File" button for placing a picture, you see the "Attachments" down arrow. Each time you click on that, you can choose an additional picture to post, up to 5 per posting. Hopefully that helps.

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #36 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Whig wrote on Jun 14th, 2019 at 2:51pm:
Looks a little darker and shiner. Much nicer.

I think you've found out that your stock has so much old oil and dirt that the wood cells are not porous anymore and won't soak in any more stain. If you put stain on wood like that, it will either just wipe off if its still wet or, if you let it dry too long, it just dries in a sticky layer and doesn't look good.

I'd stay with what you've done. It looks better and actually pretty nice. Otherwise, you'd need to use mineral spirits and clean off a lot of the old oil and strip some of the old stain out to try to refinish it more. That's a ton of trouble and you might not get it looking much better.

Now, put it back together and shoot it!

Yes. If; this will dry, I will call it done. If not, I dont know.

As for shooting, I am studying up on loading for this.  I am not an avid reloader but; it looks like the way to go here.  I am leaning toward 220 gr Hornady to replicate the original ammo but with a mid-level load.  Of powders listed in Hornady's 9th, I have 4064 and 4831 on hand. Maybe try 39 gr of H4831? Hornady data predicts a modest 1700-1800 fps.  I dont really care for Lee dies, but; I do like the collet crimper. Or good old RCBS.  Starting from scratch there are so many choices. 

My hopefully modest shooting goal is ringing a 10" steel gong off-hand at 100 yards.

(I fixed the attachments, thanks)

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #37 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Question on the re-assembly.  Is there a recommended torque on the two receiver bolts?  I dont want to be over or under and risk a cracked stock.  If it is not critical, I can use my calibrated right hand Smiley

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #38 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I don't know the torque but just hand tighten. If you were really shooting for accuracy, the trigger guard screws should not be over tightened. For what you're doing, I wouldn't worry. I just don't want them to back out when I'm shooting!Be careful not to over tighten the barrel band screws also. Gives the barrel a little breathing room to absorb some vibrations with shooting. Not a big deal, again, with what you are working for.

Don't worry about over loading the reloads with normal loading recommendations. The 30-40 round is very easy on the shoulder and the Krag can handle it fine. You can look through the reloading category of this blog and find lots of good information about reloading. Lots of fun!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #39 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Krag Trigger-Guard screws: My practice and rationale .... I could be delusional. (I am willing to learn a better method).

I want my Krag receiver to sit 'flat' on, and support, the thinnest area of the stock. I want my barrel to lay on the bottom of the stock barrel channel. I want to see a 'sliver of day light' between the top of my barrel and the inside of the front barrel band. I want the rear of the magazine 'box' in contact with stock wood.

When I assemble my Krag, I position the barreled-receiver in the stock, put the rear barrel-band on loose, and hand tighten the front guard-screw "Tight".

I then tighten the rear barrel-band so the sling-swivel is tightly pinched, but movable.
I assemble the front barrel-band observing that the barrel has not lifted up from the stock in the muzzle area..

Lastly, I put the rear guard-screw in, making it just firm.

IMHO - The rear screw can do mischief.

It can torque the barrel up off the channel.

It can cause the receiver tang to pressure and spread the surrounding stock wood, like a 'wedge'.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2019 at 2:25am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #40 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Thanks Butler.  The stock is almost dry.  I have a long honey dew list tomorrow, so; I anticipate re-assembly Sunday afternoon.  I try and pay attention to what you said as I go.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #41 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Hi fourbore,

Kind of off topic...

But do you by chance shoot big bore rifles???

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

fourbore
KCA Forum Member

Reply #42 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Big bores have always been a fascination for me.  I dont have a 4, but I do have various smokeless upto 505 gibbs. I recently acquired an 8 gauge double shotgun.  I also played with a not so old, 6 bore (ball gun) muzzle loader for a while.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #43 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Way cool fourbore!

And I thought my .458 SOCOM was a big round.

New to the big bore world myself but I also have a fascination for the big stuff...I just recently purchased an Ingram of Scotland .500 BPE.

I'm probably compensating for one of my many short comings! Huh

Good luck on your restoration project!
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2019 at 1:56pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #44 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I'd like to see a 'Bench Rest Shooter' touch-off that Four-Bore!

BTW - 'Local Boy', that's a mighty nice looking .500 BPE. I am sure that it is a useful rifle in Alaska.
Only 'cock' one hammer at a time (and forget those lock-mounted 'safeties', unless, they prevent accidental snagging & cocking of the hammers in the bush).

How about more pictures? That rifle deserves its own seperate Thread.
It would be intriguing to know the 'history' of your double-rifle.

.... Ouch! I am remembering in the movie, "A Boy 10 Feet Tall", when Edward G. Robinson, portraying a sage Old Big Game Hunter/Diamond Smuggler, rests his back against a tree as he demonstrates firing his trusty big bore gun! (Hollywood has a lot of bad ideas. I hope no one has been stupid enough to follow that 'example').
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2019 at 2:16pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint