Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Great Vintage Picture (Read 2738 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Great Vintage Picture
Jun 13th, 2019 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I love these 3-D stereoscopic historic pictures. I'm always looking for vintage ones that show Krags in action. This one, dated 1898, shows an M1892 Krag which, under careful magnification, shows an original M1892 Krag rifle with all of the bells and whistles. I see the correct bolt, the correct side plate, a long ram rod, the correct rear sight, a flattened muzzle and even a full front barrel band. Hard to improve on that! I can't see the butt plate but I'm sure it's correct. And I can't tell which ram rod it has. Could it be the rare brass tip?

I always wonder who actually took this kind of picture and how it wound up as a stereoscopic card.

The photo is labeled by the soldier as to preparing to move on to Santiago for hard battle. This Battle of Santiago in Cuba was July 1898. Some of you know more than I do about these battles but it's nice to see a great picture documenting the important use of our beloved Krags!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Great Vintage Picture
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 2:46am
Print Post  
17th U.S. Infantry Regiment, Company "A", soldier #24 ... I wonder his name?

Did he survive the action at Santiago, Cuba? Did he later serve in the Philippines?

Did he 'hook up' with Annie, after his service?

Great picture!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 10:13am
Print Post  
The picture is almost good enough, but not quite, darn it, to see the serial number on this rifle. That would be better than a "hit" in the SRS listing! Gosh, how great would that be to see the serial number and find this actual rifle!

If someone had a listing of these soldiers, that would be great to track that down.

IP Logged

Rcat7147
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I did a bit of Googling.  No luck on finding this gentleman.  Maybe there's some better resources out there that I don't know about.

It's really a shame that there isn't one place to find all this info.  According to Wikipedia, there were 72,339 troops involved in the Spanish American war.  A book with all their names, troops, etc wouldn't be that big.

Lost to the mists of time.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
I knew I had seen that picture before! Brophy used it on page 29 of "The Krag Rifle". ('Whig' has provided us a clearer and fuller image).

Mallory used a relevant picture of the 16th U.S. Infantry on page 70 of "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition. (note model 1896 carbine in saddle scabbard).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
The only mention, I noticed, of the 17th U.S. Infantry in SRS data is five entries for Krag, #1810:

1. a model 1892 rifle issued 10/24/1894 - 17th Infantry, 2. 1892 rifle 12/23/1897 Co. "F" 17th Inf., 3. 92R 01/07/1898 Capt. Chubb - Co "F" 17th Inf., 4. 92R 17th Inf. (repaired), 5. 92R 03/25/1898 Capt. Chubb (repaired).

A picture of the 17th Infantry, in the Philippines during the insurrection, with newer model Krags:
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2019 at 10:25pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Rcat7147 wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 6:04pm:
I did a bit of Googling.  No luck on finding this gentleman.  Maybe there's some better resources out there that I don't know about.

It's really a shame that there isn't one place to find all this info.  According to Wikipedia, there were 72,339 troops involved in the Spanish American war.  A book with all their names, troops, etc wouldn't be that big.

Lost to the mists of time.

The official roster of Ohio soldiers in the war with Spain, 1898-1899 has something like 18,000 men listed and is about an inch and three quarters thick.  Of course only the Forth and the Eighth managed to see Porto Rico and Cuba.  It's about the size of a jump-the-fence-Catholic Lutheran Sunday hymm book

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
So, I've got a famous picture! Thanks, Butlers! I haven't looked in Brophy's for a while and didn't recognize this picture. It's one of the nicer ones I've gotten and I guess Brophy thought it was a good one also.

I know that these stereoscopic pictures are not unique. The best ones are the actual photos-not a print of a photo. Those never have any good resolution.

Thanks for all of the helpful research. I will have to do some searching myself when I get a chance.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I found a copy of your Strohmeyer & Wyman 'stereoscope picture' of the 17th Infantry on a Library of Congress website.

It is incorrectly listed as being in the Philippines. Someone changed the 1898 copyright date, in pen, to '1899'.

BTW - I found a chapter, online, in a history of the 17th U.S. regiment, that was written by Captain C. St. J. Chubb, (who apparently is the man listed in SRS data). It only goes to 1892 with the Regiment stationed at Fort D.A. Russell, Wyoming).
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2019 at 10:29pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Here’s a stereoscope that I found somewhere of Troop 1,6th U.S. Cavalry training at Fort Tampa.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
If you don't have a stereoscopic viewer to look at these with, it's quite an amazing and fun thing to have. These viewers show amazing detail in realistic 3-D view which is surprising, considering how old this technology is.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint